Which Implement For Vine And Root Removal From Woods? (Sandy-Loam Soil)

/ Which Implement For Vine And Root Removal From Woods? (Sandy-Loam Soil) #31  
Considerations I just stumbled across. Or maybe you could contact the OEM for just the shanks or have them modify their existing design for your ROBB. However, a large, regular subsoiler with a single shank is usually recommended for use with an ~30HP tractor. My guess is you may be able to use a twin shank in sandy soil for the depth you are contemplating. But in my clay, I would most likely just spin the tires.

BTW: IF you have never had the opportunity of visiting an Agri Supply store, they are a very large, true, farm store. Really neat place to gather most any type of implement piece/part right off the shelf as you pass by.

Subsoiler, One Shank, Category 1 Hitch

Subsoiler, Two Shank, Category 2 Hitch

/ Which Implement For Vine And Root Removal From Woods? (Sandy-Loam Soil)
Thank you for three helpful replies.

I am considering a sub-soiler, however the made in USA Unverferth 'Freedom" soil ripper is a better choice for me than Agri Supply, as 18" is all the rip depth I can ever contemplate needing. For the vines, 6" should suffice.

If I buy a dedicated implement for surfacing vines I am would like to have secondary use for it in mind.

I buy replacement shanks for my Rollover Box Blade from Agri Supply via web order. I recently planned an overnight stay in Lumberton, N.C. and planned to visit the Agri Supply store there; but plans changed.

UNVERFERTH LINK:

Soil Ripper - Freedomョ 3pt. Implements

Last edited:

Excellent idea. I have added Nichol Tillage to Bookmarks on my Mac.

I was fooling with the Ford Series 101, 2-14" plow yesterday. I have it plowing but not well. I will refine plow adjustments next week.

Thereafter I will get back to the Rollover Box Blade, measure, and determine if Parabolic Fertilizer Knives will fit and be an improvement over what I have.

THANK YOU.

After one year and five months of consideration I special ordered a 66" Dirt Dog 'All Purpose Plow' (APP 66-5) which I will call a Field Cultivator, rather than a plow, as no soil inversion occurs.

Cost was $835 FOB dealer, no sales tax on Ag nor Forestry equipment in Florida. I rented a U-Haul truck to transport Field Cultivator from Dirt Dog dealer, forty miles away, home.

Five parabolic shank Field Cultivator pulls much easier than the five rippers on my Bush Hog Rollover Box Blade. (Photo #11)

Like all implements, operating this one involves a learning curve. It worked well this afternoon. It should perform better as I accumulate hours pulling/adjusting it. (Photo #6)

I pulled Field Cultivator through a small patch of Bahia pasture grass to see if it would work as a Pasture Renovator in my sand-loam soil. It penetrated 5"-6" without tearing up surface growth.

This implement is a contemporary reproduction of an original Harry Ferguson design circa 1934. Ferguson called it a 'tiller'. Ford/Dearborn marketed same implement as a 'Field Cultivator', after parting ways with Ferguson.

LINK: Dirt Dog Manufacturing

Attachments

• DSC00344.jpg
    DSC00344.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 190
  • DSC00345.jpg
    DSC00345.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
  • DSC00348.jpg
    DSC00348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 510
  • DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 281
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC00352.jpg
    DSC00352.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 237
  • Front Cover.jpg
    Front Cover.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 154
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC00017.jpg
    DSC00017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
  • FLDCUL01.jpg
    FLDCUL01.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
   / Which Implement For Vine And Root Removal From Woods? (Sandy-Loam Soil) #35  
I looks like it will do a great job. When I was a kid on the farm, we used chisel plows with fixed shanks (no springs). Field cultivators were not very common at all in our area. Now, the only fixed shank chisel plows I see are older ones from the days gone by.

When you have a chance to use it some more, I'd love to see some more action pics and to hear a report on your thoughts and impressions. I think with one of these plus a disc harrow and a drag of some sort (for leveling and busting up clods), I wouldn't need a rotary tiller. Plus I think the field cultivator would bust up and aerate the soil deeper than a tiller would.

Dirt Dog Field Cultivator / 284 pounds Vs. Athen's Chisel Plow / 737 pounds with five shanks, both made in Georgia.

Note: parabolic shape shanks.

Field Cultivator -an implement used to perform secondary tillage operations such as seedbed preparation and weed eradication*. Field cultivators are equipped with steel shanks that are typically spring mounted to permit the shank to move within the soil and shatter clods. Field cultivators are constructed similarly to chisel plows, but are more lightly built.

[*not much for general weed eradication due to space between shanks. Would be fine for weed eradication if sweeps were substituted for standard chisel points.]

Chisel plows are primary tillage implements which use curved shanks to penetrate and "stir" the soil without inverting a soil layer. Chisel plows cause less residue disturbance than moldboard plows and are often used in conservation tillage systems.

Attachments

• DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 189
  • M156.jpg
    M156.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:

Attachments

• wPIX--ChiselPlow5520-P7.jpg
    wPIX--ChiselPlow5520-P7.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,647
Last edited:
   / Which Implement For Vine And Root Removal From Woods? (Sandy-Loam Soil) #38  
Five parabolic shank Field Cultivator pulls much easier than the five rippers on my Bush Hog Rollover Box Blade.

Why do you think this is? The shape? The shanks on the field cultivator appear to be a bit longer than the ones on the ROBB. I have a RO720 ROBB.

Might have better luck using a parabolic ripper shank which would tend to push the rock upwards. These shanks have longer gradual curves that could get under the rock and make them rise to the surface. A straight shank subsoil could work but would have a harder time.

Perhaps spring-return character of the shape has something to do with it, at least with Chisels and Field Cultivators.

The Hay King Pasture Renovator, a heavy duty implement, also has parabolic shape soil contact parts. Heavy duty tractor subsoilers, such as Monroe Tufline and Unverferth have forged blades with a parabolic face.

Anyone out there know the WHY? of parabolic shank shape?

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
   / Which Implement For Vine And Root Removal From Woods? (Sandy-Loam Soil) #40  
Anyone out there know the WHY? of parabolic shank shape?

I have a comparison of angled and parabolic that may be of interest.

subsoilerTest.jpg

I suspect angled or parabolic shanks require less down force (weight) to enter the soil and stay down, compared to vertical shanks.

Bruce