Buying Advice which is the best zero turn for the buck

/ which is the best zero turn for the buck #1  

swartzfager

Tractor
john deere lx 176
Just recently, my lx 176 of 16yrs, bit the big one and I am looking to buy a zero turn mower. I presently mow 1, mostly flat, acre, which has a few trees and planting beds to mow around. I have looked into john deere, cub cadet, husqvarna, toro, hustler and etc. Due to certain spacing issues, a 52 "+ is too large. It would be nice to get a fabricated deck, kohler or kawasaki engine, 48" or smaller deck, and to get 0% financing for 3-4 years. be able to bag leaves, and keep the cost under $3,500. The problem is, that most of the zt mowers i have been looking at, have some, but not all of the items I am looking for. One would have the engine, but it has a stamped deck, one might have the 42" deck, but they have a briggs engine and etc. It would be helpful if there was a dealer closer than 30 miles. I had one guy tell me I should get 8 years out of the mower. Really, I am going to spend $3,000+ and get 8 years out of it. ouch. I got 16 years out of my lx 176. too compound it, I only have about 3 weeks left of mowing season left. (very confused) Any ideas ?

/ which is the best zero turn for the buck #2  
Just recently, my lx 176 of 16yrs, bit the big one and I am looking to buy a zero turn mower. I presently mow 1, mostly flat, acre, which has a few trees and planting beds to mow around. I have looked into john deere, cub cadet, husqvarna, toro, hustler and etc. Due to certain spacing issues, a 52 "+ is too large. It would be nice to get a fabricated deck, kohler or kawasaki engine, 48" or smaller deck, and to get 0% financing for 3-4 years. be able to bag leaves, and keep the cost under $3,500. The problem is, that most of the zt mowers i have been looking at, have some, but not all of the items I am looking for. One would have the engine, but it has a stamped deck, one might have the 42" deck, but they have a briggs engine and etc. It would be helpful if there was a dealer closer than 30 miles. I had one guy tell me I should get 8 years out of the mower. Really, I am going to spend $3,000+ and get 8 years out of it. ouch. I got 16 years out of my lx 176. too compound it, I only have about 3 weeks left of mowing season left. (very confused) Any ideas ?

That's probably a fairly accurate estimate of 8 years of service mowing 1 acre with a $3K light residential ZTR(especially if it's one of the "big box retailer", like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. models). These ZTR's are basically disposables and you will discover have sealed/un-servicable trannies. Unless you can somehow raise the bar to $4k-$5k(or try to find a good used commercial ZTR....lots of lawn services unload used equipment this time of the year) to get into a new high-end Residential ZTR, you won't find "all" the features you already know are important in a ZTR. If you have dealers nearby, take a look at a Gravely ZT HD 48(MSRP of $5,599...on sale at my local dealer for $4,999), a 48" Dixie Chopper Zee 2(MSRP of $4,999...website shows on sale at $4,799) or a Toro Titan(ZX4820) or even better the Toro Titan(MX4880)..not sure of there current pricing, but still in that range. You would be pleased with the features and get 20+ years of service out of any of these if it's well maintained.

/ which is the best zero turn for the buck #3  
In an effort to try and give an answer to your question asked in your title, if you are asking about value, I don't think you will find it in the $3k price range. If you are wanting true qlty/durability, I think you are just starting to get in to that arena @ $5k. I've not personally owned a ZTR but have recently looked at pricing on qlty machines and price tags are on the North side of $8k and some are quite a bit more the $10k.

I've always had upper end GT's and they have served me well. Current GT listed for over $6k with the deck and that was 10 yrs ago. My first GT was a 1970 model and cost $2k with deck and tiller. People are still looking for qlty machine for $2k today. Ain't going to happen IMO.

/ which is the best zero turn for the buck #4  
I hear ya...last fall I shopped ZTR's pretty extensively and began with a $4k-$5k budget. It didn't take long to realize a decent high-end residential unit required at least a $5k-$6k budget. Once I decided I wanted the durability and dependability of an entry-level commercial I quickly discovered that $6k-$7k was the minimum that it would take. You are correct, though, that if I really wanted a full-blown commercial(more aptly described as industrial) ZTR I had better realize that $8k-$10k is where those machines live. Nowadays, the $3k ZTR's you find at the big box retailers are a "get you by until you can afford a good one" mower. And even the days of a decent $2k lawn tractor are pretty well gone.

Last edited:
   / which is the best zero turn for the buck #5  
My lx 176 died (4-5 years ago). I picked up a wright stander 48". The thing is a tank. I bought it with over 2000 hours (newer motor), 23 hp Kawasaki. I believe it's a 1999 or 2000. Have replaced the plugs, gas filters, trans filter and blades, that's it. I love that I can (and do) drive it up into my pickup truck. Very simple to change belts (never had to). Adjustments if it starts creeping are very, very simple. The deck (since its out front not underneath) stays very clean, unlike my family's xmark. This mower is so much more than I thought, and I new it was good because all the landscapers have them. It's no wonder toro, Great Dane and others have copied it.

/ which is the best zero turn for the buck #6  
My lx 176 died (4-5 years ago). I picked up a wright stander 48". The thing is a tank. I bought it with over 2000 hours (newer motor), 23 hp Kawasaki. I believe it's a 1999 or 2000. Have replaced the plugs, gas filters, trans filter and blades, that's it. I love that I can (and do) drive it up into my pickup truck. Very simple to change belts (never had to). Adjustments if it starts creeping are very, very simple. The deck (since its out front not underneath) stays very clean, unlike my family's xmark. This mower is so much more than I thought, and I new it was good because all the landscapers have them. It's no wonder toro, Great Dane and others have copied it.

I looked at the Wright's when I was shopping(very expensive, but VERY NICE). And their stander is indeed one of the best made.....Toro comes 'close', but no cigar:0)

/ which is the best zero turn for the buck #7  
image.jpgI paided $2000 from a landscaper going out of business off Craigslist. I also got extra casters, filters, belts, washers for the casters (adjustments) and a ton of hand tools he had in a storage box. I have a 3/4 acre lot that I have to keep cut. It's pretty rough but the stander takes the beating (a lot better than me). I usually cut the neighbors lot and a buddy's too, about 2 1/2 acres total. Oh, he also gave me the grass gobbler. It just hangs off the side (gravity)by the discharge, very simple and easy to remove/empty.

/ which is the best zero turn for the buck #8  
1 acre is not that much when you are mowing with a 48" deck. I have a Walker GHS zero turn and also a 48" Scag hydro walk behind. The scag is faster and easier on the turf. A nice used one can be had in the 2-3500 range and a new belt drive can be had for 4k ish. A Scag should last a homeowner a lifetime. You can also get a velkey to ride on behind it.

/ which is the best zero turn for the buck #9  
I would spend some time looking for a good used commercial Z-turn. I bought a used JD 727A with 400 hrs on it for half of the price of new. For my 1.5 acres... I will never wear it out.