Which John Deere?

/ Which John Deere? #21  
Seems like you are the only one asking the question!
How do you know how much research the OP has done prior to asking the question?
Seems like a JD forum is a perfect place to ask the question.
If the OP wants to spend his money on a JD, who are you to question his motives.

I have never been able to figure why so many Kubota fans feel the need to hang out with the Greens.
Do you go into Ford forums and tell people they should look at a Chev?
Reading me all wrong, Schnauzer! To be honest I didn't pay attention to the color of the thread... guess I should have?

On your Ford/Chevy comment... "Maybe... depends on the question". That said I don't hang on those forums. Here the I.Q. and cordiality are significantly higher and more my style.

I have green and orange and a couple others. All my point was that maybe don't rule out brands first vs. figuring out your needs then looking at your options. Generally there are NOT similar machines in one brand. The brand that might suit you for particular size/function-ability might not suit others. That is why there are choices in the market! Some sensitive green owners here on the green forum I guess!

In the tool realm, I have have more than a few... should say... many colors. I will admit to migrating towards certain colors, when there is economy in shared batteries, bits, etc. otherwise I am not a hooked on a brand. Still say remove your color blinders and look at your real needs first and then select brand. Other way around and you have one choice once you figure the right tool.

Do you pick Ford and then decide on 1/2, 3/4, or 1 Ton? Or do you shop by brand once you decide on size and see what your money can buy across the competition?

/ Which John Deere? #22  
7acres is quite a bit. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to study up on the 1 series next time your go by Deere. 0% interest and favorable terms. You'll use it more than your thinking

Brett

I don't see a big difference between the x7xx series and the 1 series for mowing and snow blowing. The x739 and the x749 with all wheel steer and 4x4 are a good combination for mowing and snow blowing. Much more nimble with a tight turning radius.

The 1025R has a two range transmission, position control for 3ph, and loader/backhoe capable.

Both have about 24 hp, the same size tires 26x12 12 the 1025R weighs about 180 lbs more. They are closer in abilities for the OP's task than some think.

/ Which John Deere? #23  
I don't see a big difference between the x7xx series and the 1 series for mowing and snow blowing. The x739 and the x749 with all wheel steer and 4x4 are a good combination for mowing and snow blowing. Much more nimble with a tight turning radius.

The 1025R has a two range transmission, position control for 3ph, and loader/backhoe capable.

Both have about 24 hp, the same size tires 26x12 12 the 1025R weighs about 180 lbs more. They are closer in abilities for the OP's task than some think.

I know the x series is more than a glorified lawn mower on steroids but the main difference would be having the option of a loader and tons of impliments to choose from. It sounds like his new property has a pretty long and steep gravel driveway. What's going to be maintaining that? Hire it out every time it needs to be bladed or pot holes covered in? There's more than winter time activities he's going to be doing unless this is strictly a winter cottage but he's concerned about mowing so makes me think year round.

Brett

/ Which John Deere? #24  
Okay color aside... with 7 acres and who knows what you might dream and plan with regard to landscaping, I would go with the 1025 with FEL and MMM at a minimum. The X7 seems stretching it. Weight is your friend maybe except for fine mowing.

/ Which John Deere?
thanks for the comments so far. Mixed reviews at this point. I'm looking at some 1 series also now but they seem a little harder to come by used. Never really gave much thought to using a FEL before. Could I use a loader for snow removal also or wouldn't I want to do that?

/ Which John Deere? #26  
thanks for the comments so far. Mixed reviews at this point. I'm looking at some 1 series also now but they seem a little harder to come by used. Never really gave much thought to using a FEL before. Could I use a loader for snow removal also or wouldn't I want to do that?

Due to the way they have structured the 1 series, buying new is usually a better "deal" yes you pay more but with the interest rate and terms coupled with the length of the warranty it generally works out to a more favorable deal for most. You can save money on buying used impliments

Brett

/ Which John Deere? #27  

You can use the loader for snow removal and I often do if the snowfall is only a few inches because it's quicker than the snowblower. However, when the snow gets deeper you have to keep stopping and dumping the snow so it gets to be inefficient. A front blade is another option and that works fine unless the snow gets so deep you can't push it anymore. I'm in the process of building a snow blade for my 2320 because, even with 80" a year and a rear blower, the blade will be faster for most of my snow removal needs.

If you've never had a loader on a tractor, you will be amazed at how useful and essential it is. I joke and say that it's saved thousands of miles on my wheelbarrow, but think of everything you move that you can't or would rather not carry in your arms. The FEL is a tremendous advantage and that's not even considering the digging, smoothing etc capability.

/ Which John Deere? #28  
900 ft of drive way with a lawn tractor in Minnesota? Not me. My drive is only about 600 ft long and I live in Iowa. I'm using a 3039R for maintaining the gravel and the snow (if it ever snows again). I could do those chores with less, but not a lawn tractor, not even a 700 series JD. Probably wouldnt even seriously consider a 1 series either.

/ Which John Deere? #29  
Do you pick Ford and then decide on 1/2, 3/4, or 1 Ton? Or do you shop by brand once you decide on size and see what your money can buy across the competition?

I've had pretty well all the brands during my life. While I have taken a look from time to time to update my knowledge base, for the most part, I know exactly what I want, size options, etc so I have the time and tend to do extensive Internet research and then head out to several GM stores and get the best possible deal on a Sierra or Silverado.
Latest is a 1/2 ton Silverado Crew High Country. Love it and do not feel bad for not looking at Ford / Dodge / Tundra.

When initially looking for a tractor, I checked 2 x Red, 2 x Orange, Blue, White, Green. Bought Green - good deal - no problems - great dealer. At this point, I don't see making any change from Green.

/ Which John Deere? #30  

The loader will be your best friend once you have become accustomed to it. It's one of those tools that you will wonder how you survived without it. Especially with a gravel driveway. The loader will be how you fill potholes and wet spots in the driveway. Also make sure you have a 3 point hitch and get a york rake for levelling out the surface. And while you're at it, make sure that the front loader has a quick attach bucket so you can easily put on a pallet fork attachment, which is amazing for all kinds of tasks. Ultimately you'll want the backhoe on the behind for digging/building or whatever, but also for ballast on the rear end - a front loader with a light back end is unstable and dangerous when carrying heavy loads in the front.

So get a machine that is popular - which makes it easier to find used and for used attachments, and capable. With 7 acres, you will have a lot of need for a decent sized machine.