WHICH LOG SPLITTER

/ WHICH LOG SPLITTER #11  
I agree with Highbeam and Bob. Last year I bought the 12.5hp 35 ton Husky log splitter from TSC. It has a 16GPM two stage hydraulic pump. I have not found a log yet that will stop the ram from fully extending. It will either split the log or cut it and if the log sticks on the wedge it has feet to knock it off. For several years before I used a well built homemade splitter run off the hydraulics of my fathers 95hp 806 International which has a 12GPM hydraulic pump. That tractor has the psi and flow rate to use a large cylinder so force and speed are not a problem. There was a couple logs of elm with knots the tractor splitter could not split. The 35 ton Husky splitter did it with no problem. I have never had starting problems with the engine on my splitter.

My 2 cents, an electric splitter would be a waste of money.

Last edited:
   / WHICH LOG SPLITTER #12  
I to have the 22 ton SpeeCo built huskee from TSC, Plus I have a larger way older splitter bought used 12 years ago (needing an engine). I have split about 16 full cord with the speeco in the 3 years I've owed it. It has been flawless so far and nothing has stopped it splitting oak, ash, hickory and elm. I did not consider a 3Pt splitter, based keeping the tractor free to move wood and the slower cycle time with my tractors hydraulics, I believe the tractor is at 8.5 GPM

/ WHICH LOG SPLITTER #13  
Another happy TSC 22 ton owner here. SpeeCo makes them, and the 22 ton model has a faster cycle time if that matters to you. These newer models are tall too. I'm 6'3" and this is the first splitter that doesn't give me a backache after hours of use. Mine has never stalled out on a log, as others have said it will slice through the bad areas that won't split.

/ WHICH LOG SPLITTER #14  
I decided to go with a pull behind mainly because I pull the logs to a loading area and do all the fire wood cutting there. It is nice to have the tractor and bucket available to move logs around.

I went with th American CLS Splitter made in up-state New York. This is a picture of the splitter and although it was a lot of money I liked the idea of the larger tires and the four way splitter.

http://www.americanmsr.com/Images/AM24H-big-2.png

The only time I pulled it down the road was the day I picked it up from the dealer. I was not comfortable pulling it behind my truck and not being able to see it!

Oh here is a link to their website:

Log splitter, wood conveyor and firewood processor by American CLS

/ WHICH LOG SPLITTER #15  
I have a horizontal/vertical splitter. I rarely use it in horizontal mode since i do not need to split anything light enough that I feel like lifting it up there and holding it. Vertical mode is very efficient and easy on the back when working with large logs. Just roll them on, crouch down and operate the splitter. Push away split pieces, turn the big chunk and split again. Usually put a couple of logs within easy reach and split them, then do another batch.

Ken

/ WHICH LOG SPLITTER #16  
I have a swisher 22 ton 7 HP unit purchased about a year ago. I have yet to find a piece it wouldn't split. The only reason I chose the swisher is because the pump is belt driven and can be disengaged during startup. This featue is necessary if you plan on splitting in the cold. My neighbor has a model similar to mine that is direct driven and has built a charcoal fire under his unit to warm the oil so that it would start :eek:. I started mine this winter a couple of times to split and when engaging the pump it killed the engine once due to the high load on a cold engine. Now I let the engine run for 30 seconds and then engage the pump when it is cold outside. In the summer there is no need to disengage, just pull the rope. Here is a link to their products.

Jeff

Swisher Mower & Machine Co.: Products: Log Splitters

/ WHICH LOG SPLITTER #17  
I have a video of the DR electric wood splitter. They are a little slow in cycle time but are very compact and can be used in side a building without fear of fumes and noise.

I have a SuperSplit wood splitter. They are a commerical grade of splitter and have one of the fastest cycle times of all the stand alone splitters, 4 seconds. There is a work table that allows you to operate the splitter standing up, the down side is you have to lift each piece to that height. The size of the work table allows room for pieces that have to be split again. Price wise they are in the same ball park as the commerical hydraulic splitters.

TimberWolf also makes a good selection of splitters. I know two people who have them, one is the lower priced unit with a 12 second cycle time and the other is a commerical grade with a 9 second cycle time. They are horizontal models only but do have log lift options and 4 way wedges.

I have not used the hoz./vert. units but with big wood they probably do well but you still have to bend over to wrestle a big chunk in place.

Randy

/ WHICH LOG SPLITTER #18  
jejeosborne said:
The only reason I chose the swisher is because the pump is belt driven and can be disengaged during startup. This featue is necessary if you plan on splitting in the cold.

I have never had a problem with a direct drive connection down to single digits. Below zero, I usually do not try splitting wood.

Ken

/ WHICH LOG SPLITTER #20  
ksimolo said:
I have never had a problem with a direct drive connection down to single digits. Below zero, I usually do not try splitting wood.

Ken

I too don't split in the single digits but do enjoy splitting when temps are in the 30's. I guess I developed a desire to cut my next years wood in the winter since growing up and splitting with my dad in the summer heat brings back memorys I care not to relive. I also enjoy getting out and getting some exercise during the winter months.

I only have experience with 3 log splitters:

My dads with a 20 HP onan electric start propane engine which had no troubles in the cold.

The neighbors which will not start when cold.

Mine which does start but when I tried with the pump engaged, it pulled very hard. In fact, with the engine at full throttle it killed the engine when I quickly engaged the pump. I then slowly engaged the pump and I could hear the engine groan and load up almost to the point killing the engine. Now I let the engine warm up. This is obviously due to the thick hydraulic oil because once warm it is great. I am guessing your oil is thinner.

Here is a picture of my dads unit that includes a 4000 watt generator and overhead lights. This thing he built himself and has a hydraulic cylinder that allows the wheels to raise and lower the I-beam to the ground. I put many hours on this thing. Notice the fuel thank that will last two years.

Attachments

• logsplitter.JPG
    logsplitter.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 13,584