Buying Advice Which machine for 2 acres of mowing - 2006 Deere x300 or 2013 Craftsman GT6000??

/ Which machine for 2 acres of mowing - 2006 Deere x300 or 2013 Craftsman GT6000?? #1  

TimTheWiner

Tractor
Future MX5000?
I have done plenty of research so far on multiple forums and other sites. I need a riding mower that could potentially take light duty implements down the road, but most likely will only see mowing about 1 - 2 acres of yard. From most of my reading I have concluded that I don't really want most Lowes/Home Depot machines. I was looking at a few older Deere 212's, but they lacked the tight turning radius and some of the creature comforts of the newer models. With a $1k budget for a used machine and searching CL for many machines (including Simplicity and other brands as well), I arrived at either a 2006 Deere x300 with 535 hrs on the ticker. One thing that makes me nervous about this is that (although it was purchase from a Deere dealer) it still has the K46 transmission which I have not read great things about, but most of the issues seem to be with working it too hard or long or steep grades. Of course it has the Kawasaki motor and a 42" Edge deck with mulching kit. She is asking $1,200. The other machine is a 2013 Craftsman GT6000 with only 120 hrs. It has a G7 hydro which from what I hear is a solid tranny, however with an albeit powerful 26 hp engine, it is a Kohler Courage which I have not heard great things about. Everyone says takes "courage" to buy one, and the older Kohler Command are far superior. Any comments or suggestions? I lean towards the Deere as I have all Deere "stuff", including a nice 4x4 510c TLB for stumps and heavy duty work. Decisions decisions.........

/ Which machine for 2 acres of mowing - 2006 Deere x300 or 2013 Craftsman GT6000?? #2  
I wouldn't pick either of them. You already figured out the potential problems with each of them.

Is $1,000 a "can't spend" or "don't want to spend" number? There's a difference.

If that's an absolute hard cap, I'd probably go with the X300 just on the premise that it will be cheaper to replace the K46 when it fails than it will be to replace the Kohler Courage engine when it fails. But I would want to know what type of property the machine has been used on. If it's been used on hilly property, I wouldn't touch it. In that case, I'd go with the Courage on the premise that a Courage with 120 hours will probably last longer than the K46 with 535 hours.

/ Which machine for 2 acres of mowing - 2006 Deere x300 or 2013 Craftsman GT6000??
Unfortunately $1k is a hard cap as I am financing it and told them that's all I wanted. Just bought the place in the fall and too many other expenses to worry about. I have 1/4 acre vineyard I will be mowing with it and pull a small trailer for harvesting grapes etc. Maybe decent if I found a small cheap trailer sprayer too.

Anyhow, both owners are not original, so I know how they used it but not the previous owners. Another forum member pointed out an LX255 that apparently has a beefier tranny for $900.

/ Which machine for 2 acres of mowing - 2006 Deere x300 or 2013 Craftsman GT6000?? #4  
I would go with the Craftsman. I have never lost a motor on a mower. Transmission is always the first to go.Cman should least at least 500 hours. That gives you about 400 hours before you start having problems. Two acres will take maybe 90 minutes. That would be over 250 times mowed. That is 5 years at $250 per year. That is not bad. I just spent almost $2500(new hydro pumps) on repairs to my almost 10 year old John Deere ZTR. John Deere is not cheap.

/ Which machine for 2 acres of mowing - 2006 Deere x300 or 2013 Craftsman GT6000?? #5  
I understand it is the single cylinder Courage that has the problems, not the 2 cyl. I bought a used Husqvarna mower with a 54" deck, with a 2 cyl. Courage and it has about 540 hrs. with NO issues, fires right up, no oil burning, she hums right along. It has the K46 hydro in it and it works but has no guts, can't back up a mild grade with it once it's warmed up. Good luck in your search.

/ Which machine for 2 acres of mowing - 2006 Deere x300 or 2013 Craftsman GT6000?? #6  
I would go with the DEERE hands down. Son in law bought one the the craftsmans and it was junk. He kept it a year. It was in the shop much of that time