Which MIG wire is the best.

/ Which MIG wire is the best. #11  
If you were using C10 gas you might have been in globular transfer which spatters a bunch even compared to short circuit. Like SA said thats a very hot mix.

A snipit from welding welb

ESAB University

and go to the "MIG Welding Handbook".

starts at

Handbook - Metal Transfer Variations

Also check out a lot of the info at the Lincoln site. Tons of info there.

But with C25, you were not doing spray transfer. C10 or maybe up to C15, you can get spray transfer going, but not C25.

And not at just 21.6V on 0.035 wire. Transition to spray transfer using 0.035 steel wire is about maybe 23V (C10 or 98-2 Ar-O2) and upwards of 165 amps (98-2) or 180 amps (C10).

Short-circuit transfer sound : frying/sizzling bacon

Spray transfer : a hissing sound and lots of heat going on

Globular transfer : in between and lots of spatter

Of course if you were using some fancy-schmancy Miller you might have been in pulsed-spray mode. Sound there is sometimes described as "angry bees" (not angry birds ).

/ Which MIG wire is the best.
If you were using C10 gas you might have been in globular transfer which spatters a bunch even compared to short circuit. Like SA said thats a very hot mix.

A snipit from welding welb

ESAB University

and go to the "MIG Welding Handbook".

starts at

Handbook - Metal Transfer Variations

Also check out a lot of the info at the Lincoln site. Tons of info there.

But with C25, you were not doing spray transfer. C10 or maybe up to C15, you can get spray transfer going, but not C25.

And not at just 21.6V on 0.035 wire. Transition to spray transfer using 0.035 steel wire is about maybe 23V (C10 or 98-2 Ar-O2) and upwards of 165 amps (98-2) or 180 amps (C10).

Short-circuit transfer sound : frying/sizzling bacon

Spray transfer : a hissing sound and lots of heat going on

Globular transfer : in between and lots of spatter

Of course if you were using some fancy-schmancy Miller you might have been in pulsed-spray mode. Sound there is sometimes described as "angry bees" (not angry birds ).

Thanks these look like some good reading. I will bookmark them.:thumbsup:

/ Which MIG wire is the best. #13  
I've had trouble feeding .023 wire before through a 15-feet long gun. I had to make sure the gun was as straight at possible at all times! For sheet metal work you will want C25 gas.;)

I checked the gas mix and it's 75/25. I picked up some of the Lincoln L-56 0.30. Then ran some wire and there was a world of difference.

ForumRunner_20130311_204155.png
This is the first practice plate that is 1/8" thick the first run. It seemed like 20V was a setting that seemed to be where it welded best on 300" a minute and 200" a minute.

ForumRunner_20130311_204213.png

This is the other side 200IPM 21V 0.30

ForumRunner_20130311_204235.png

Cranked it up to see what it would do 300IPM 24V 0.30 on the left and the right is 200IPM, 21V, 0.30

ForumRunner_20130311_204311.png
Thought I would try a little stich welding on 1/16", 16 gauge steel. Te metal I will be welding in will be 18 gauge which is just over 1/20th of an inch.

Last edited:
   / Which MIG wire is the best. #15  
The first two pictures, looks like you need to turn your wire speed down or your voltage up. Or move faster.

The one picture with all th BBs, did you change your stick out length? What length of stick out do you use?

I have the contact tip about flush with the nozzle. Should it be extending out a bit? I didnt change it any time today.

/ Which MIG wire is the best. #19  
What I mean by stick out, is the distance between the puddle and the contact tip. I run about 3/8-inch.
Sometimes I move the gas nozzle back where the contact tip is sticking out an 1/8-inch or so. Other times I have the contact tip flush with the end of the gas nozzle. A lot of different opinions about this, you'll have to find what works best for you.;)

/ Which MIG wire is the best. #20  
Any word of advice on being able to see the puddle better?
I have my lens setting at 9 and I still cant see like I can stick welding.
Go to Wal-Mart or the dollar store, and try on different pairs of reading glasses. May want to measure the distance from your eyes to the conformable welding area. Then when you're at the store hold up something with small print at that same distance. That way you get the correct power of reading glasses. I went through this about 7 or 8 years ago.