Rotary Cutter Which new cutter???

/ Which new cutter???
I think the backs are made that way for safety reasons. It does present a problem in thick mowing conditions. It you cut the back out, just be careful if you later use it around people, structures, livestock or near roads.,

That right there is the answer, in my opinion!!!

/ Which new cutter???
I had a BB720. Beast of a mower. I used it to clear some very rough land and cut trails through my woods. I cut many logs and trees larger than 4". I was hard on it and it held up pretty well. I did finally break the stump jumper, but again, I was doing stuff with it that I shouldn't have.

I now have a Bush Hog 297. This is an excellent mower also. Really, the same quality or slightly higher in my opinion. There are little design aspects that show through. Woods has updated their newer models to match some of these features. The biggest one is the three point hook up. Older Woods had a single ear that was easy to bend. The newer models and the Bush Hog have the two piece ear that supports the pin on both sides of the three point lift arm. Since I did all the hard work with the Woods, this mower has a much easier life.

I would buy either again and probably make my decision based on price.

Thanks for the info, fellow Mississippian!

/ Which new cutter???
I have had good luck after 5+ years of use with my Woods BB60X on my slightly larger L3830. I am not sure how this compares to the others you have looked at, and I am not sure how much 2" diameter stuff I have tried but it take out some good sized Autumn Olive without any problems - probably well over 2" at the base. It's really easy to get the blades on and off for sharpening and it has been very durable so far. I don't have much experience with other single spindle cutters other than some ancient Bush Hog units.

More good info for me. Thanks

/ Which new cutter???
image.jpg

One last pic showing how much material was removed

/ Which new cutter??? #35  
I have a 5' king kutter I've used for the last 10 years mowing 30 acres of pasture several times a year

if the frame of yours isn't worn about the only wear parts are the gearbox, pto shaft and wheel and I saw a gearbox for $199.99

/ Which new cutter??? #37  
View attachment 337007

One last pic showing how much material was removed

Is he going to put any kind of guard on that? What type does he have on the front?

I remain confused as I have never seen a properly adjusted cutter do this to the extent the deck needed modification, that would scare me to death. I have seen some pretty nasty stuff come out from under one of those even unmodified.

/ Which new cutter??? #38  
Is he going to put any kind of guard on that? What type does he have on the front?

I remain confused as I have never seen a properly adjusted cutter do this to the extent the deck needed modification, that would scare me to death. I have seen some pretty nasty stuff come out from under one of those even unmodified.

Right, and it could come out at 12,000 fpm (135 mph). That can kill someone or an animal. Anyone doing this needs to very careful.