which plywood for truck bed sides?

/ which plywood for truck bed sides? #21  
You're wasting your time building a rack out of wood. Not only do you need to figure the load but the forces involved with that load and road conditions. Hit a pot hole and that load gets doubled pretty quickly.
Used racks are a dime a dozen on E-bay craigs list etc.

Here's one for $260.00. You couldn't buy the lumber for that.

NEW CONTRACTOR PICKUP TRUCK TOOL LADDER LUMBER RACK | eBay

X 2! Here's another alternative for a little over $100, for anyone else contemplating making their own ladder rack.

$(KGrHqVHJDME90wT,HRiBPhQw83ISw~~60_12.JPG

/ which plywood for truck bed sides? #23  
Interesting thread-what I find fascinating is how some cheap plywood will hold up for some applications, and marine grade sometimes doesn't last as long as you think it should in some cases.

We've got a 6x12 single axle trailer that I built 2' plywood sides with 3/8" standard grade plywood about 14 years ago, and the trailer has sat outside all that time. I'm not saying it still looks pretty, but it will still keep mulch from falling out. I didn't even think about marine grade plywood at the time, as I was in a hurry to get it built for a project, or I probably would have used that. I don't even remember if we put any sealant on the plywood. And as I said, it ain't pretty and I would bet you could probably punch a hole through it with your fist, but it still works for hauling light weight loose material like mulch.

I like the idea of using deck boards for the cross pieces, as some of the 1x4 cross pieces I used failed. 5/4 composite deck boards would have been a great choice. I'll probably go that route on the next trailer or if we redo this one.

/ which plywood for truck bed sides? #24  
Interesting thread-what I find fascinating is how some cheap plywood will hold up for some applications, and marine grade sometimes doesn't last as long as you think it should in some cases.

We've got a 6x12 single axle trailer that I built 2' plywood sides with 3/8" standard grade plywood about 14 years ago, and the trailer has sat outside all that time. I'm not saying it still looks pretty, but it will still keep mulch from falling out. I didn't even think about marine grade plywood at the time, as I was in a hurry to get it built for a project, or I probably would have used that. I don't even remember if we put any sealant on the plywood. And as I said, it ain't pretty and I would bet you could probably punch a hole through it with your fist, but it still works for hauling light weight loose material like mulch.

I like the idea of using deck boards for the cross pieces, as some of the 1x4 cross pieces I used failed. 5/4 composite deck boards would have been a great choice. I'll probably go that route on the next trailer or if we redo this one.

Only issue with the composite boards is that they are much more costly per foot than treated boards are. But the lighter weight and no-maintenance may make that a fair tradeoff for some people, especially if they don't need a lot of boards.

/ which plywood for truck bed sides? #25  
Only issue with the composite boards is that they are much more costly per foot than treated boards are. But the lighter weight and no-maintenance may make that a fair tradeoff for some people, especially if they don't need a lot of boards.

You're on the mark regarding cost-I could probably spend about as much for all composite boards as the original cost of the trailer! But it would also look a little nicer a lot longer, if that is important. Good point on the weight, as I hadn't thought of that.

/ which plywood for truck bed sides?
I've an interesting story about composite deck boards -
When they first came out about years ago I had to build a small piece of deck, about 10x20. So I went to Home depot for 5/4 deck boards. The sales droid didn't know the price on the composite and neither did I. He went and rung them up for the same price a the PT 5/4. I was shocked when I did see the price on them.

/ which plywood for truck bed sides? #27  
Looks good to me!

That's kinda what I was thinking. Not a bad looking rack and should be serviceable for what you want to do with it. :thumbsup:

/ which plywood for truck bed sides? #28  
I've an interesting story about composite deck boards -
When they first came out about years ago I had to build a small piece of deck, about 10x20. So I went to Home depot for 5/4 deck boards. The sales droid didn't know the price on the composite and neither did I. He went and rung them up for the same price a the PT 5/4. I was shocked when I did see the price on them.

BIG difference...around here 5/4 PT runs about 70 cents per foot, the three grades of composite are $1.59-$1.99-$2.29 per foot. Got the prices from the latest Menards sale insert, they are advertising something I have never seen before: "Quickcap deck resurfacing system" 1/2" thick by 3 1/2" wide, goes over existing decking...79 cents per foot, it's a ribbed composite material.

/ which plywood for truck bed sides? #29  
I have built a deck using composite. Its not very strong. Strong enough for decking but no way I would deck a trailer with it. That and its about twice the weight.

Chris

/ which plywood for truck bed sides?
Just to end the thread with some pics:

Rack w/ sides
attachment.php

Getting loaded
attachment.php

With obligatory tractor in picture.

Sides go on/come off in about 10 minutes w/ beverage.

Made the trip from Virginia to Mississippi fine, only one nut on a U-bolt loosened (or I hadn't tightened it enough) used lock washers all around.

Allowed me to double my bed load. it took 3 sheets of PT 3/4 plywood. About $100. 4 U-bolts and 2 angle straps, plus some bolts about $30.