Which post hole auger?

/ Which post hole auger? #1  

inode

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HD12
I've been looking at post hole diggers for my tractor. I'm specifically looking at a Cat 2 heavy duty auger. The choice is between the Land Pride PD35 and the Everything Attachments 7500HD. There's about a $500 difference in price favoring the EA brand. Also, what size bit should I consider for all things on the farm? Some say 9" and others say 12". I'll be installing fence 6" posts as well as possible some 6x6" posts.

/ Which post hole auger? #2  
I say 12".
That gives you 3" of wiggle room on each side of 6" diameter post, and 1- 3/4" off each corner of a true 6"x6" post (or about 2" if 5.5" x 5.5")
A true 6" x 6" has a 8-1/2" diagonal.

/ Which post hole auger? #3  
I got the 12" auger and with the angles in drilling sometimes, the extra space helps to allow the post to stand straight.

/ Which post hole auger? #4  
I use a 12 inch auger. It means I don’t have to be as accurate putting the holes in.

/ Which post hole auger? #5  
I have no idea how your ground is, but if it ever gets hard, be sure to get the down pressure kit for it PHD. I have the Land Pride PD35 with most of the different bit sizes, (6"-24") and this unit will drill through anything that we have here. A hole that use to take days for the water to soak in so that you could get to full depth now takes literally 2-3 minutes to drill full depth.

We don't really have rocks and roots to deal with, but decomposed granite (DG) and when it is hard, or not as decomposed as other areas you can get sparks off of it with a digging bar. The down pressure kit 100% eliminated any type of waiting for all of my drilling requirements. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• PB040025.JPG
    PB040025.JPG
    374.7 KB · Views: 168
  • P4050006.JPG
    P4050006.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 136
  • P4050013.JPG
    P4050013.JPG
    404.2 KB · Views: 134
   / Which post hole auger?
I went with the Everything Attachments 7500HD auger. I haven't purchased the down pressure kit; However, that is some great info and pictures helped me a lot. Our soil has some limestone in it and no granite.

How do you get your auger up on the 4x4 stand? That's a pretty slick way of holding it.

/ Which post hole auger? #7  
I went with the Everything Attachments 7500HD auger. I haven't purchased the down pressure kit; However, that is some great info and pictures helped me a lot. Our soil has some limestone in it and no granite.

How do you get your auger up on the 4x4 stand? That's a pretty slick way of holding it.

The cross 4x4 beam just sits in the saddles. Raise the PHD all the way up, slide the 4x4 through, let the PHD down, disconnect the hitch, down force hydraulic hoses, drive away.

People complain about how difficult a PHD is to take off and on, it is actually very easy, takes just under 5 minutes on or off. My tractor is about the same size as your Kubota, so things should be similar.

Good luck with your new implement. ;)

/ Which post hole auger? #8  
I also have the 7500HD from EA. I got both a 9 and 12 inch augers.
Looking at MVR’s pics of his LandPride, the gearbox on mine looks exactly the same as his. It will handle up to a 30” auger due to its 4:1 ratio. I find that I have to flor the tractor up to PTO speed to get it to fling the dirt off. Digging at idle is just too slow when digging a 9” hole. My ground is very hard clay and it digs very quickly without any extra downforce. That gear box is one heavy SOB.

/ Which post hole auger? #9  
12" Auger for the field . 9 " Auger for the bedroom !!! :laughing:

/ Which post hole auger? #10  
if a danuser is in the same price range I would go with that
AND yes 12"