Rake Which Rake & what Width should I buy

/ Which Rake & what Width should I buy #11  
When I was shopping for a rake, I went to every equipment dealer in the area. I looked at the three mentioned above, Howse, Kink Kutter, and several others. I decided on the Fred Cain because of the quality, before I even knew what the price was. I was ready to lay down a big chunk of change, but it ended up being cheaper (in price not quality) than the top brands so that made it look even more attractive. I am very satisfied with my decision and IMO, could ask for a better rake.

Joe

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/132467-fred-cain-landscape-rake.html

/ Which Rake & what Width should I buy #12  
Go 6', you will be sorry if you get the 5' model. Your tractor with loaded tires will pull it just fine. I have found the rake to be much more effective with gage wheels for trying to grade things smooth. Which ever brand you buy check and see about the availability of gage wheels if you decide you want them in the future.

MarkV

/ Which Rake & what Width should I buy
Builder, that was my point, look at that Fred Cain and you wiil see what I mean.

I tried to find Fred Cain on the web but wasn't successful.
Do you know what their website address is?
Thanks,
B2620

Last edited:
   / Which Rake & what Width should I buy #14  
2620, I have the same exact set up as you also w/ loaded r-4's. I currently own a 5ft bush hog rake (w/ gauge wheels) To me it is the perfect size for the tractor. It covers the width of the rear tires and is very heavy duty for its size. Depending on your areas of work a 6 footer would also be handled w/ no problem w/ our tractor. I personally like and went w/ the 5" for the reasons mentioned above and my land is a park like setting (in the making) so I have a good amount of obstacles to go around so it makes moving a bit easier. Also when working in the woods it seems to be the perfect fit for me when making trails spreading wood chips etc... Good Luck

Also where in upstate NY are you located?

2620, I have the same exact set up as you also w/ loaded r-4's. I currently own a 5ft bush hog rake (w/ gauge wheels) To me it is the perfect size for the tractor. It covers the width of the rear tires and is very heavy duty for its size. Depending on your areas of work a 6 footer would also be handled w/ no problem w/ our tractor. I personally like and went w/ the 5" for the reasons mentioned above and my land is a park like setting (in the making) so I have a good amount of obstacles to go around so it makes moving a bit easier. Also when working in the woods it seems to be the perfect fit for me when making trails spreading wood chips etc... Good Luck

Also where in upstate NY are you located?

The propoerty where my tractor is located is in Western NY in Stueben county. Hopefully it will some day be my new year around homesite. Today it is a seasonal weekend get away and our home is in the Rochester area.

I am glade you mentioned the obstacles and moving around them. Much of my land is heavily wooded with many trails that I maintain with the back blade and hog. Maybe the rake would come in handy there also. However, if I am to use it in the woods, I will need to consider the maximum width for trail grooming. I guess I need to find out what the width would be when fully angled.

Thanks,
B2620

/ Which Rake & what Width should I buy #16  
The propoerty where my tractor is located is in Western NY in Stueben county. Hopefully it will some day be my new year around homesite. Today it is a seasonal weekend get away and our home is in the Rochester area.

I am glade you mentioned the obstacles and moving around them. Much of my land is heavily wooded with many trails that I maintain with the back blade and hog. Maybe the rake would come in handy there also. However, if I am to use it in the woods, I will need to consider the maximum width for trail grooming. I guess I need to find out what the width would be when fully angled.

Thanks,
B2620

Yes good idea, unfortunatly I have never needed to look into the max width when angled so I cant help you here. What I can advise on is I also use my Box blade for making new trails. I only have a 4' BB as this is all that was in stock when I purchased the tractor and because of this I got a great price on it + it is Kubota orange so its a perfect match and also very heavy duty for its size (500lbs) I usually make my trails probably about 6ft in width and the rake angled on these size trails is no issue for me. Good luck again and look into the bush hog brand (carried by Emerichs in Charlton NY) as both my rake and BB are very heavy duty and built very well.

Yes good idea, unfortunatly I have never needed to look into the max width when angled so I cant help you here. What I can advise on is I also use my Box blade for making new trails. I only have a 4' BB as this is all that was in stock when I purchased the tractor and because of this I got a great price on it + it is Kubota orange so its a perfect match and also very heavy duty for its size (500lbs) I usually make my trails probably about 6ft in width and the rake angled on these size trails is no issue for me. Good luck again and look into the bush hog brand (carried by Emerichs in Charlton NY) as both my rake and BB are very heavy duty and built very well.

Thanks,

/ Which Rake & what Width should I buy #19  

Thanks,
B2620

I have used a rock rake in evergreen and woods situations and it filled with trash quickly. Annoying but it did work OK. I had to yank some branches and stuff out every now and then. Works best in dirt and even better moving snow.

/ Which Rake & what Width should I buy #20  
Thanks for jumping in GIJOE, both times, I can access the site from work but can not log in. When the time comes I will have a Fred Cain if I have to drive to La. to get it.