Which snow blower to buy?

/ Which snow blower to buy? #1  

DF5152

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720 25hp, 20hp pto
First Post here been reading and lurking for a while but have been unable to find what I am looking for. I am interested in a 3pt snow blower for my GC1720 about 19pto horse power. My choices thus far are the snow king 50inch model or the wood max 48inch model. i would prefer the one that will throw the snow the farthest, I know that is kind of subjective, but would appreciate feed back from people who have them. we mostly get heavy wet snow here in NY.

/ Which snow blower to buy? #2  
The only way your going to find a snow blower that will throw the farthest is if you invest in a Bercomac motorized snow blower setup as a rear mount.
Before you yell, the V twin engines on the Bercomac snow blowers are larger in gross horsepower than your mules power take off rated horsepower.
What ever you do you better buy it quick as small snow throwers will be very hard to come by in a few weeks.
You should also invest in some aerosol cans of Fluid Film to act as a lubricant to prevent plugging of the chute and spout.

Last edited:
   / Which snow blower to buy? #4  
You are going to get a ton or responses. I am not going to get into brands as I looked at all of them before purchasing mine and found a brand that looked best to me. I had a Yanmar 2450. 17 pto hp. I purchased a 5'4" blower. It handled it fine if my right foot controlled the speed. I have now gone to a larger tractor for other reasons and still have a blower that covers my tracks. I heard over and over I could not run it. I was blowing with a 42" front mount on an 18 hp John Deere 325 gas tractor. My thoughts were if 18 hp at the motor on a gas engine can run 42" fine then 17 pto hp on a diesel with more torque should be able to run much larger if I did not go crazy with it. I do know this. You can do a smaller pass with 6' but cannot do a larger pass with 4'.

/ Which snow blower to buy? #5  
For your tractor the MK Martin Meteor 60" would be an ideal setup. MK Martin makes excellent blowers.

Just so you know - there is no such thing as a snow blower that is "better" for blowing wet snow. Wet snow sucks!!!! Whether you are plowing or blowing - wet snow sucks!!! You simply have to wait for it to either warm up and melt or cool down and harden up.

AND - welcome to TBN and the forum.

/ Which snow blower to buy? #6  
NO question about it, a FASTER fan speed blows wet snow better!

I now have a sno-blower with a FAST fan speed, I've plugged it exactly one time in 4 years and that was mostly my fault for going too fast when I hit a wet spot, as in sitting water under the snow.

SR

/ Which snow blower to buy? #7  
For many reasons, other than just clearing snow off my mile long gravel driveway, I went another way. I got a tractor large enough that I can clear the frozen snow berms with my rear blade. I did enjoy, to a limited extent, using a snow blower when I had the smaller tractor. Using the blower a couple times per winter was sort of fun. When it became once or twice a week - the fun went the way of the blown snow.

/ Which snow blower to buy? #8  
NO question about it, a FASTER fan speed blows wet snow better!

I now have a sno-blower with a FAST fan speed, I've plugged it exactly one time in 4 years and that was mostly my fault for going too fast when I hit a wet spot, as in sitting water under the snow.

SR

Is yours a rear or front mount

/ Which snow blower to buy? #9  
No question the front mount will chuck snow further and is less likely to clog. Mine will throw snow a 100 feet, but it is costly. I bought the tractor used with 91 hours- I don't know I would have spent the $$ new (probably 7K with subframe and PTO) , but it is awesome!

/ Which snow blower to buy? #10  
standard.jpg

It blows snow further than any blower I've owned or even used before, especially for the amount of snow it will move.

SR