Comparison Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #11  
A few things to consider. How much property are you cutting. Is it open or a lot of trees and obstacles. I had a Ford 1520 with a mid mount mower, a lot more tractor that what you are considering, and used it to cut 2 acres. It cut very nicely and the mower deck basically rode on the ground as you described. Pretty sure the machine is built by Shibaura, so make sure you can get parts, but otherwise, go for the Ford. I was very impressed by mine, and the loader really came in handy. Let us know what you decide and post pictures!

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL
I have 2 acres also. Glad to hear the MMM works well. I have a trampoline, swing set and pool to mow around so that's why I didn't want to go the rear mount way.

I think I will pick the tractor up this weekend so I will post pics. I think this will be much more capable that the Simplicity.

Like I said. I called my local dealer and they assured me that all of the wear parts are readily available through them.

One last thing. Can the MMM and the loader be on at the same time?

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #13  
I've had a 1210 with a hydro trans and no loader for over 20 years, and it worked very well with a Caroni RFM. Like several others here I am a fan of the RFM. My first tractor had a MMM and the last three have all had rear mowers.

When we upgraded our "garden tractor" (Wifey's term for the L3200) she suggested we keep the Ford for little stuff. It has been handy. I could leave the York rake attached to the Ford freeing up the 3PH on the Kubota and jump between tractors wile doing work.

What part of PA are you from? I saw a 1220 with a loader and 730 hours but no mention of the blower on CL in Newville for $5,800.

I'm 20min west of you off 283. That is the tractor I am looking at however the owner is lowering his price. I was looking at a Kubota BX2200 for $7300 but if I can get this tractor and a mower deck for around $5700, it sounds like a much better deal. I just get real catious when spending money.

Why RFM? Do they work better? I seems like it would not be as easy to get around trees and stuff.

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #15  
I understand being cautious. When I was shopping earlier this year there were two times I took a bank check along - at less than the asking price, plus cash to make up the difference if the tractor turned out to be worth it. Both times I ended up re-depositing the check. I'm not enough of a mechanic - or psychic - to be able to accurately determine the condition of the less than obvious indicators. I wasn't comfortable with either of these tractors to close the deal. There were others that I went to see and drive, and none of them seemed to be what the owners represented them to be. In the end I bought a new one.

The rear mower isn't a handicap for me. I CAN'T say it never bumped into anything, but it isn't as difficult to use as some would have you believe. When I bought this last tractor, I also bought a Landpride rear discharge RFM and couldn't be more pleased. Feel free to PM me if you want a test drive.

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #16  
kwolfe said:
I'm 20min west of you off 283. That is the tractor I am looking at however the owner is lowering his price. I was looking at a Kubota BX2200 for $7300 but if I can get this tractor and a mower deck for around $5700, it sounds like a much better deal. I just get real catious when spending money.

Why RFM? Do they work better? I seems like it would not be as easy to get around trees and stuff.

If you go with a rfm it will work on another tractor were a mmm is tractor specific. If you watch what you are doing you can get close to stuff with it. A rfm does make the tractor longer though.

/ Which to buy Ford 1220 or Simplcity Legacy XL #17  
If I were to do it again I would want a rear finish mower rather than my mid mount but that's just a preference, not a requirement.

Well as luck would have it I have no luck. I mentioned using paypal to the gentleman and he preferred cash so he sold it for $200 less to another person. Guess my search continues. Ah well. Good to know I have some helpful local neighbors though. If you all see anything good give me a holler . Thanks again.