Which tractor should I buy?

/ Which tractor should I buy? #1  

scappoose

Tractor
mahindra 2816/FEL
I have a little over 2 acres, 1+ wood lot to be cleared of underbrush and blackberries and maintained. I want to extend the fenced area for my 3 dogs to the entire area if possible. at present the 1/4 acre dog run area is totally over run with blackberries. In these Blackberries are 11 oak trees which where felled and cut into 15" rounds (not split) that I need to remove before they rot for firewood. I want to level the site as much as possible,there are no hills but there is a drainage ditch cutting across the far back area about
50' from ihe property line. I will have to find out if this can be removed (filled).
I run a small organic nursery in the spring and summer, selling veg starts in spring and produce in the summer. All my beds are raised about 24", I am always making new ones to expand my growing area. each bed takes at least a cubic yard of soil, which I am moving by hand ie. wheelbarrow. they all need to topped with 4" compost yearly.
I need to maintain the 200'+ driveway summer (weeds) and winter (snow). I live in Scappoose Or. so snow does not happen often but can sometimes land 10 or 12" in a storm.
I am a large man about 6'4" 200lbs, not hung-up on any color of tractor......
So convince me of your favorites
Thanks

/ Which tractor should I buy? #2  
I would recommend any small 20 to 40 hp, 4 wheel driver tractor, with the auto trans (HST-eHYDRO or the like) with a loader, brush cutter and a box blade.

The more HP the easier that you have to work the tractor and yourself.

My 2000 New Holland TC40D works my 40 acre plus farm just fine but I'm even looking for more HP.

New Holland and Kubota have some neat little rigs, some come as package deals at some dealers, with matched loaders, bush hoggs, box blades and even a trailer.

Sam

/ Which tractor should I buy? #3  
I mostly agree with Porkie. Seems you're going to do a lot of work with the FEL so a hydrostatic transmission seems reasonable.

If you're looking for new tractors, judging by the brochures a New Holland Boomer 30, 35 o 40. I don't know if they're old models on the way out but the 2030, 2035 and 3040 seems to be also good tractors.

/ Which tractor should I buy? #4  
Check with BPfick, he runs a similar type operation and just bought a B Series Kubota. I would think something along the lines of the B Series with 25 HP or up or the equivalent in JD, NH, MF etc. would work well. I would look at and drive them all to see which fits you the best.

/ Which tractor should I buy? #5  
For the ground clearing I'd recommend a small compact but you could get by with a sub compact in the long run do to the small size of your lot. I recommend it with caution to your size for comfort.

You could consider a good rental yard to get the job of clean up in a couple of weekend bouts with possibly more machine then you would consider to buy! Rent a wood splitter?

then buy a tractor and the machines to maintain it.

To own? I'd go with a Small B series for the beds and it would also be able to assist with the clean-up. backhoe is available but those stumps would be a bundle to handle not that they couldn't be dug. The three range transmission is so versatile it can make any driver feel good.

/ Which tractor should I buy? #6  
Whichever dealer is close to you and will not forget you after purchase :thumbsup:. Service after purchase is very important. Nah, what the heck.... check out Bobcat :D. It seems like the 2xx is good for what you need... And don't forget to order rear remotes. Did I mention order extra remotes...:D. Include one in the front for Grapple in the future :D. You might still get the free FEL promo.

/ Which tractor should I buy? #7  
Which ever one you choose ,just keep in mind the"little things" . Like how much you can lift ,heavy duty loader, cutting edge on bucket, pto speed , weight of tractor, rear remotes, float, cab or not, QA., cruise control, gear or Hst,remotes on front, mid-pto, tires Agr or Ind or turf . When I got my tractor half of these things never crossed my mind and didn't know what half of them were for. If you can go around and try them out see what kind of people you're dealing with it might make all the diff. Read and research all you can .:2cents:

/ Which tractor should I buy? #8  
I run an organic also, bees, trees, vegetables...the lot. I was going to get a geared tractor until I talked to the guys on TBN. If you're doing a lot of back and forth (which you are)...you're going to love hydrostatic tractors. If you have to get into tight spaces...you're going to love hydrostatic tractors. If you have a small acreage...you're going to love hydrostatic tractors.
If you're going to be moving a lot of trees...get a grapple.

I chose the Kubota L5740 because the dealer 45 miles from me treated me right. This beat the Green dealer who was 4 miles away and gave me quotes that were higher than everybody else.
You will find that the dealer next to you that answers your questions and shoots straight will do more to influence your decision than the paint color. I've seen this over and over on TBN.

You're going to love your hydrostatic tractor especially with small beds.

/ Which tractor should I buy? #9  
I can't comment on the other tractors, as I haven't owned them. But one thing I will say, is, I love my Massey GC2400. It's small enough to get into just about anywhere, the Hydro tranny is fantastic with the front end loader, plenty of power to do the things I need done on my 2 acres.
And that includes, but is not limited to:
Mowing grass
blowing snow
digging ditches
moving dirt(or compost)
pulling logs
hauling firewood
Tilling the garden
sliding the bucket into the back of the pickup bed !!!
basically anything that requires lifting, pushing, pulling, or even pounding(if your careful)
But with 2 acres, and raised beds..........I would stick with a small tractor (SCUT).

/ Which tractor should I buy? #10  
I would agree at least 25 hp, not more that 50 or so. My neighbor has a Kubota Mx5100 and he is your exact size and looks really comfortable. I should get him to drive mine to see if he fits on it good. If I get a chance I will and try to remember to post back to you. We both have gear tractors, but I could see on smaller acreage how the HST would be better. Around here tractors have gears and lawn mowers have hydrostatic. Not my opinion, just everyone else's. I new I would be stuck if I wanted to sell mine if I got HST. The shuttle shift is pretty good though, I like it. Let us know what you decide.