Which tractor to buy?

/ Which tractor to buy? #1  

flhpi

Tractor
8N & JD1010
First of all I would like to say this is a great forum. I have been lurking for a while and finally joined. I posted a brief hello in the introduction thread.

I have moved back to the country where I grew up. My parents are getting older and I moved back to help out around the place and also to get the heck out of the city. My dad has 60+ acres total, about 15 acres are field, house, pond and yard. A local farmer rents the field off dad.

Dad has a JD 1010 and a 8N that is very tired. I have been looking to replace the 8N for dad. I will be buying the tractor and dad and I will both get a lot of use out of it. I am trying to make his life a little easier. He always has to mess with the plugs on the 8N, adjust the carb and tweak this or that just to use it. Plus the fact he is 79 and just cant do what he use to.

The JD is used to till the garden or to drag the bigger logs out of the woods. The 8N is used for brush cutting in the edge of the woods and fence rows. I would use it to get firewood but it is a pain in the butt to fix it every time I want to use it. I was looking to get a tractor that can be used for snow removal with a rear blade, working gravel in the parking area, wood getter, brush cleaner upper and what ever else I can use it for. We are fairly busy on the property. Dad is one of those people that will find stuff to do instead of sit around.

When I started looking at tractors I looked mainly at Kubota. As I read more and stopped my several dealers I am leaning toward the Kioti. There are several nice features and the weight of the tractor that I like better.

I was looking at the CK35 HST. On the forum a lot of people always say go with the DK but I am looking at the smaller tractor for ease of use for my dad and the size to use in the woods. If the CK 27,30,35 is the same chassis size I can have the 35 for dragging logs out of the woods and dad has a tractor that he feels comfortable with when he is weaving in and out of trees and mowing down the brush. Plus I like the telescoping 3P. Makes hooking up easier on dad.

Sorry for being long winded. The question I have is, will the CK35 be enough for the 66 acres? We need a tractor for tight woods and I want enough tractor that I can mount a grapple bucket at a later date.

I was quoted $18500 for a CK35 with fel and $17500 for a CK30 with fel, both HST.

Thanks

/ Which tractor to buy? #2  
Got my CK35 HST in 2008. Because I wanted to make it easier on my back I ordered it with a 7 ft Woods Backhoe complete with a 7 position thumb.
Our 14 acres is mostly treed and lifting rounds onto my wood splitter was getting tougher. Nice to be able to lift logs to a nice cutting height, that bending over with the chainsaw is hard on the back. I have 335 hours on it and still marvell at what a great tractor it is. It has surpassed my expectations for sure. As well as the backhoe I also have a back blade, box blade and post hole auger. The DK40/45 seems to be a real popular tractor as well. Make sure you drive both the CK and DK models and then think how it would fit into doing all the things you want it to do. :)

Attachments

• KiotiWoodWood 002.jpg
    KiotiWoodWood 002.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 290
  • NewFence 004.JPE
    NewFence 004.JPE
    15.3 KB · Views: 238
  • BackBoxBlade 009.jpg
    BackBoxBlade 009.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 261
  • KiotiWoodWood 006.jpg
    KiotiWoodWood 006.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 252
  • Hottub 007.jpg
    Hottub 007.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 354
  • Logging 008.jpg
    Logging 008.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 359
  • Logging 006.jpg
    Logging 006.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 375
   / Which tractor to buy? #3  
Flhpi,
Glad to hear you like the Kioti & welcome to TBN. I would suggest you take your Dad w/ you when you go to test drive the Kiotis. Try both the CK and DK.

If you want to make things easier for your Dad, you really should consider the DK b/c of one feature it has that the CK doesn't, and that is the 3pt control lever on the rear. My FIL loves this feature on my DK. He struggles switching equipment on his JD 5303 and would love to have it on his tractor. If you are wanting to make things easier for him, you should give this some consideration.

Another reason to try both is from a comfort level. You both might find that you really like the 2 separate pedals on the DK vs. the treadle pedal on the CK.

I know that either will serve you and your Dad well. Good luck and keep us posted!!! Also, you have to post pictures when bring it home!!!:thumbsup:

/ Which tractor to buy? #4  
flhpi,

I have only managed to get about 10 hours on my new DK50SE HST, but I love it. I have a big root grapple, and my stump grinder is ready for delivery now.

I really like the placement of the controls on the DK. They are all very user friendly.

Whichever way you go, Happy Tractoring!:tractor:

David

/ Which tractor to buy? #5  
66 ac? Dragging logs? Grapple? Only one thing to consider: CK30 & 35...KL130 loader = 1100 lbs of FEL lift..............DK40/45..KL401 loader = 2600 lbs lift.

FLHPI this is a huge difference, and I know from experience. I bought the CK30HST and within a year I knew I made a mistake because I found myself picking on things that the loader could not handle. So after a few years I traded up to the DK40HST(530 hrs on it now) and I could not be happier. I too drag logs out of the woods and pick up logs for my mill and for firewood, bale and stack/store round bales, dirt work with a extra deep over sized bucket, etc, and the Dk is not much wider than the CK for that kind of work.

I know 1100 lbs sounds like a lot, but on a large tract of land you will defiantly want to double that capacity frequently.....jmho.

/ Which tractor to buy? #6  
   / Which tractor to buy? #7  
I own Kubotas not Kioti, but recognize nice features when I see them. Here is an interesting video posted by a recent poster who was initially looking at Kubota and went with Kioti.

Kioti Tractor Walk Through with Jason Couture - YouTube

That is a nicely done video walk through. Pretty complete and very clear. For some reason he didn't mention the push button (electric over hydraulic) 4 wheel "assist" or the electric PTO but he got most everything else.

/ Which tractor to buy? #8  
That is a nicely done video walk through. Pretty complete and very clear. For some reason he didn't mention the push button (electric over hydraulic) 4 wheel "assist" or the electric PTO but he got most everything else.

I was pretty impressed with it as to presentation and the features of the Kioti. I am an old guy and prefer levers to buttons for some reason. I noticed Kubota has also gone over to the electric PTO engagement. We had the electric MFWD on our Case CX80 which worked pretty well.

No doubt Kioti makes some really nice equipment. I can't used left foot brakes, so I will have to stick with Kubota. They will probably switch over too someday though.