Which Tractor To Keep

/ Which Tractor To Keep #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
Bought a Massey 2615, ran it around a bit and the more I fooled with it the less I liked it. Bunch of small stuff but mainly shifting with the synchro shuttle
was a PITA. Shifting the gear levers was also difficult, not conducive to loader work.
Talked to the dealer about a 1648 compact with HST, which is what i wanted all along. He makes me a righteous deal on the 1648 and allowed me almost what I paid for the 2615 in trade. $2,500 and the 2615 gets me a new 1648.
So I'm looking through the 1648 brochure one lat time and the height catches my eye. The machine is 103" high to the top of the ROPS, my barn opening is 96". I've had 3 different tractors in the building and never had a clearance problem.
The 2615, a Utility tractor, is only 93" high, shorter than the compact.
The dealer wants to buy the 1648 and fold the ROPS down every time I enter
the building. Sure as h*ll I'm gonna' forget 1 time and either break up the building or the machine.
So should I deal with 1648 and trade the 2615, or sell the 2615 and go back to my 2wd 231s with no loader? I'd rather not keep the 2615 for reason previously mentioned.
I hate to move away from Massey, although I know Kubota, New Holland, Kioti and others are good machines.
What to do?

/ Which Tractor To Keep #2  
Fellow Marylander here, what part of Maryland are you in? How hard would it be to raise the entrance on your building to accommodate the 1648? If it were me, and I really wanted the 1648 as it seems you do, I'd get the 1648 and deal with the ROPS. Maybe hang a red flag at the entrance of the building to remind you of the ROPS until you can raise the entrance??

/ Which Tractor To Keep #4  
Might need to verify the specs.
Massey website says 92" top of ROPS, 103" to top of cab.

What tires are on it will make a difference too wouldn't it? Ags probably the tallest, turfs the shortest.

/ Which Tractor To Keep
I live in the Parkton area. To modify the the barn I would have to cut into the main beams that the roof trusses rest on. I'm probably being difficult but raising and lowering the ROPS every time I go in or out seems like a PITA.
The sales rep I'm working with measured one today and it was 103". Yhe compact is taller than the Utility tractor. I know of a pretty good fabricator/welder that I'm going to talk to tomorrow. See if he can cut 10 inches out of the ROPS without making a mess.

/ Which Tractor To Keep #6  
My Kubota ROP has 3 positions. Straight up, 45 degrees, 90 degrees (parallel with the ground). In the 45 degree position it is still enough to protect me. Does the tractor you are looking at have a folding ROP?

/ Which Tractor To Keep #7  
I live in the Parkton area. To modify the the barn I would have to cut into the main beams that the roof trusses rest on. I'm probably being difficult but raising and lowering the ROPS every time I go in or out seems like a PITA.
The sales rep I'm working with measured one today and it was 103". Yhe compact is taller than the Utility tractor. I know of a pretty good fabricator/welder that I'm going to talk to tomorrow. See if he can cut 10 inches out of the ROPS without making a mess.
If you do cut the ROPS, you probably want a sleeve to cover the cut, that way ROPS bar itself is still the weakest part, not a butt weld.
Seems crazy that they wouldn't make the ROPS just under 8'...

/ Which Tractor To Keep #8  
If you're going to cut the ROPS down, I suggest you go for the fixed ROPS rather then the folder.
As Indyfan wrote...sleeve it or put a square or retangular tube filler inside the original ROPS to keep it as strong as possible...a butt weld may not withstand a rollover...and the areas I know in Parkton are pretty hilly.

/ Which Tractor To Keep #9  
What kind of floor do you have? If dirt/gravel you could dig down a little at the doorway and make some height that way.

Aaron Z

/ Which Tractor To Keep #10  
Do they offer an shorter ROPS? Maybe a non folding model?

If I REALLY wanted that model, I would put up with folding the ROPS. I would consider it the price I pay to have what I want and have it sheded when not in use.

10" seems like a lot to remove from the ROPS. Will it still protect you? Manufacture had to certify the ROPS to that machine. If they could have saved 10" of metal on each side they would have to cut costs.

Let us know what you decide.