Which Tractor To Keep

/ Which Tractor To Keep #11  
My father in law shortened the ROPS on our MF 375 to fit in the shed and offer better sun protection with the metal canopy. A professional fabricator did the work and used an insert.

ROPS modification has been discussed on here a few times and those of use with shortened ROPS were taken to task over safety issues. The ROPS not only provides protection from being crushed, but from rolling over and over down a hill. By shortening it, you decrease the effectiveness of stopping the rollovers to some extent.

I try not to lecture anyone on safety issues or advocate someone modifying their tractors in ways I may have or feel comfortable in so doing.

/ Which Tractor To Keep #12  
The ROPS on my DS 4110 are higher than they need be and higher than my door opening. They do have lowering options which are a PITA.

Another operator friend suggested removing the upper portion but that defeats there purpose.

When I examined the profile of the ROPS to shorten them I noticed they flare out as they come down. Removing any amount would make it impossible to realign the ROPS for an effective weld.

Bottom line is I will live with it.........no pun intended.

/ Which Tractor To Keep #13  
So I'm looking through the 1648 brochure one lat time and the height catches my eye. The machine is 103" high to the top of the ROPS, my barn opening is 96".
What to do?

Hard to tell from the thumbnail pic in your avatar but can you install a new door on an endwall of the building? Most metal buildings can be fitted with a taller door on the endwall than on a side wall. My new shop building kit with 10ft sidewalls would allow for an 8' side wall mounted door but was easily ordered to fit a 10ft height door under the peak of the endwall.

I don't see any problems with shortening the rops as you mentioned. A good welder can easily handle that task. If you feel it is worth the risk then go for it.

/ Which Tractor To Keep #14  
   / Which Tractor To Keep #15  
Just remember when you cut the ROPS you void the warranty on them and take liability on yourself "IF" anything were to ever happen.

/ Which Tractor To Keep #16  
Without a hanging guard like the one with the reflective tape on it, you run the risk of paying attention to what's ahead on your loader and not paying attention to the other...A big load might even block the view of the hanging guard and then what gets crushed? The rops or your barn? A least with my cab, the barrier is in front of me-the rops is behind you, out of sight, out of mind.