Grapple Which type of grapple is best suited for...

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #101  
I just ordered my grapple today - I went with this one...

http://stores.palletforks.com/-strse-70/48%22-LW-Root-Grapple/Detail.bok

Nice grapple. I would check however that Titan has upgraded the 4x4 tubing to 0.25 from the 0.125 they were using last year. There were several failures with the top tube being crushed by the forces generated by closing the upper grapple arm or perhaps it was pushing with the grapple open as I recall. My 48" grapple is of very similar structural design and has held up very well for about seven years of hard use but the structural tubes are all 0.25 inch mild steel.

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #102  
Does anyone have any first hand experience with both the OBG1 and the Everything Attachments Wicked Root Grapple for Compact Tractors ?

I am torn between the two. The everything grapple is a little bit cheaper, but I have never seen one in person. Any input would be appreciated. This has been a great threat; I've learned a lot.

I think the WRLong grapple that compares to the EA Wicked Root is actually the OBG2 which is a bit lighter. WRLong is VERY conservative in their sizing recommendations. I would personally buy their OBG2-48 for use with my DK40se. That is very close in weight and dimensions to my trusty Millonzi. The opening on the Millonzi is 46".

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #103  
I think the WRLong grapple that compares to the EA Wicked Root is actually the OBG2 which is a bit lighter. WRLong is VERY conservative in their sizing recommendations. I would personally buy their OBG2-48 for use with my DK40se. That is very close in weight and dimensions to my trusty Millonzi. The opening on the Millonzi is 46".

I have heard about the Millonzi grapples, but never knew they opened to 46". I am not finding a dealer. Or did they get acquired?

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for...
I certainly agree that dedicated grapples do grappling work more efficiently than add on grapple arms to a standard bucket, but the add on grapple is way more efficient than a standard bucket for dealing with brush and is a good choice for someone without a quick attach. Adding a toothbar does help quite a bit but doesn't approach the ability of a regular open bottom grapple for digging out roots etc. adding a grapple arm via welding or bolt on plus use of the rear remotes for control is easily the least expensive way to add grappling capability to a CUT. If you already have at least one rear remote, you can have a functional grapple set up for less than $500 spent on a grapple arm and hydraulic hoses and fittings.

You use the term bucket grapple which to me describes a purpose built solid bottom without sides and a typical top grapple arm or two. Those are used mostly by the skidsteer community and are great for construction debris collection. Not as effective as traditional open bottom grapples for digging roots or brush work though.

It's my bad habit to call them all "grapple buckets"... I should be referring to it as a root grapple.

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #105  
I have heard about the Millonzi grapples, but never knew they opened to 46". I am not finding a dealer. Or did they get acquired?

Sadly they went out of business a few years ago when the owner John Millonzi died. The style of grapple they made was very similar to the WRLong OBG2 except that the bottom tines curve up slightly. I would change little if I were getting another grapple. Probably would make the top grapple a little wider (mine is about 15'-18") and I would beef up the top grapple arm a bit with gussets (which I have added) and add more protection for the cylinder but otherwise I wouldn't change it. 3/8" mild steel on the tines, 4x4x.25 on the square tubing and ?Schedule 80 pipe on the intertine spacers. Tough little bugger but pretty light. Millonzi claimed 280lbs but I think something around 325lbs is more accurate. It worked very well with my CK20 with 1070lbs of lift and does equally well with my current 2700lbs lift loader on the DK40. I've bent the upper grapple tines a bit (now reinforced with gussets) and busted one hydraulic hose on brush but otherwise it is just fine. It is the standard attachment on my FEL for about 80% of my work which is mostly clearing brush. Cannot imagine being without it.

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_8140_small.jpg
    IMG_8140_small.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1594_small.jpg
    IMG_1594_small.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3353_small.jpg
    IMG_3353_small.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3789_small.jpg
    IMG_3789_small.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3790_small.jpg
    IMG_3790_small.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2833  grapple ready for work.jpg
    IMG_2833 grapple ready for work.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4370_small.jpg
    IMG_4370_small.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    656.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5617smallfile.jpg
    IMG_5617smallfile.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 124
   / Which type of grapple is best suited for... #106  
It's my bad habit to call them all "grapple buckets"... I should be referring to it as a root grapple.

I avoid the term "root grapple" myself as it is used both to describe the L or standard shape grapples like my Millonzi or WRLong OBM type but is also used frequently to describe the very different "clamshell" type. These are fundamentally different types of grapples and unfortunately there is no clear standard terminology to distinguish them. Both types can be used to "root" but the upper jaw design (full length vs one or two partial) and bottom grapple configuration (near vertical vs horizontal) are very different and have significant operational differences. WRLong makes both types (RBG and OBG) while Anbo makes the clamshell and most of the grapples discussed here are related to the WRLong OBG type. WRLong has the best webpage describing the different grapples and they have been in the CUT grapple business longer than almost anyone else. Sadly they only sell through dealers so their pricing is well above what you pay to get a direct order Titan, EA etc. WRLong also recent brought out a bolt on grapple for standard buckets which looks good. If they sold direct, they would own the CUT market.

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #107  
Nice grapple. I would check however that Titan has upgraded the 4x4 tubing to 0.25 from the 0.125 they were using last year. There were several failures with the top tube being crushed by the forces generated by closing the upper grapple arm or perhaps it was pushing with the grapple open as I recall. My 48" grapple is of very similar structural design and has held up very well for about seven years of hard use but the structural tubes are all 0.25 inch mild steel.

Did Titan have a problem with 0.125 tubing? I know Wildkat did (don't know if they still do?)

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/244801-broke-my-grapple-am-i.html

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for...
Okay fellas... here's another thought to throw your way.

I just bought a new stump-bucket from an equipment auction (picking it up on Sat) at a good price (all told, less than $400). How effective do you guys think it would be to add a "thumb" grapple onto it? Although it wouldn't give me the true functionality of a "root-grapple" it would more or less turn two implements into 1. I might even take on the challenge of trying to make the grapple arm myself if I get adventurous

Anyone use one (a stump-grapple) and can give a review as to how it would compare with a root-grapple?

78244%204-18%20050.JPG

78244%204-18%20051.JPG

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #109  
   / Which type of grapple is best suited for... #110  
Okay fellas... here's another thought to throw your way.

I just bought a new stump-bucket from an equipment auction (picking it up on Sat) at a good price (all told, less than $400). How effective do you guys think it would be to add a "thumb" grapple onto it? Although it wouldn't give me the true functionality of a "root-grapple" it would more or less turn two implements into 1. I might even take on the challenge of trying to make the grapple arm myself if I get adventurous

Anyone use one (a stump-grapple) and can give a review as to how it would compare with a root-grapple?

I recall at least one guy reporting that a stump grapple worked fine for him. I would imagine it is less versatile then a standard grapple but it certainly can put concentrated force on a root or rock. The grapple arm is just to hold the load in place so the real question is whether stump buckets are effective. The fact that they exist as a commodity item strongly suggests they do work at least for uprooting bushes and small stumps etc.