Grapple Which type of grapple is best suited for...

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #151  
I did not literally mean were are they. I meant would they give you a bunch of run around and would the problem ever be resolved. I would rather deal with somebody reputable.

My point was that even a very well established manufacturer is handcuffed by the fact that it just doesn't make sense economically to ship the grapple back so repairs need to be done locally. The manufacturers will not accept responsibility for breakage so other than replacing a hydraulic cylinder or a hose, there is not much they can do to help. How can the manufacturer choose a local welder or hydraulic shop any better than you can?

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #152  
Caspar, when did you buy yours, I recently got a quote for $1016 plus $145 shipping. I noticed the grapple pictured in the link you posted has 7 bottom tines. Is the one pictured the 48" I thought the 48" only had 5 tines. I also noticed some photos so the bottom tines are straight while other are curled up, is this an option.

I sent them an email in August for a quote and they gave me $820 plus shipping. When I called in January to order, Stella said about the same $1000 price. When I mentioned the $820 email quote she immediately said "OK, I can do $820". Of course my shipping was more... about $400 to get to the west coast. :( Ugh.

Yes, the 48" has 5 bottom tines. All of them are the same shape and turn up a little at the ends. It appears to be very well made. These pics are after is started getting dark, so maybe not the best view. I'll try to remember to get some action shots tomorrow. Got some big logs to move and buck.

IMG_2930.jpg IMG_2931.jpg IMG_2932.jpg IMG_2933.jpg IMG_2934.jpg

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #153  
Those are some nice grapples you guys have. One question though; Will those NIA and similar grapples bite down hard on a small log like 12" to 16" or do the logs rattle around in there. I know my grapple has limitations being the bolt on type but one thing I like is that it holds any log I pick big or small firmly. It is also easy to pick 2 or 3 and it holds all of them tightly.

Attachments

• GrappleReDo.JPG
    GrappleReDo.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 149
   / Which type of grapple is best suited for... #154  
Those are some nice grapples you guys have. One question though; Will those NIA and similar grapples bite down hard on a small log like 12" to 16" or do the logs rattle around in there. I know my grapple has limitations being the bolt on type but one thing I like is that it holds any log I pick big or small firmly. It is also easy to pick 2 or 3 and it holds all of them tightly.

It is possible to clamp that size log but I usually just hold it in the bottom by curling and closing the grapple arm to keep it contained. So long as it is reasonably balanced it doesn't move. However, I usually have more than one such tree in the grapple at once and in that situation the load is generally compacted by the upper arm.

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #155  
Wow- a CUT with a minimum loader lifting capacity of 3500lbs. are you sure? that sounds more like an AG tractor or at least the Industrial version or a VERY HEAVY duty CUT???

Yea I am fairly sure that most if not all CUT's are less than 3500lbs. Thats why it says CUT less than 3500lbs. Now with that being said the DK40-50 will lift 2700 to FULL hight at the pins. I am guessing it will be in excess of 3k at the ground. I have a weight indicator and now that the weather is better I am going to hook it up and find out for sure. Like Island stated the 48" is more than a match for our tractors and they have very strong loaders for their size. CJ

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #156  
1) any photos of your modifications (otherwise you know the TBN rules....it didn't happen!:laughing:

2) does anyone know if Wildkat changed the gauge of 4x4 tubing used from 0.125" to 0.25"?

I'll get some tonight, I have 2 good sized trees to clean up that I removed from my driveway [more room needed] I'll even put the sides on. CJ

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #157  
Yea I am fairly sure that most if not all CUT's are less than 3500lbs. Thats why it says CUT less than 3500lbs. Now with that being said the DK40-50 will lift 2700 to FULL hight at the pins. I am guessing it will be in excess of 3k at the ground. I have a weight indicator and now that the weather is better I am going to hook it up and find out for sure. Like Island stated the 48" is more than a match for our tractors and they have very strong loaders for their size. CJ
Got what you were trying to say now, for a moment there- thought there might be some new CUT I hadn't heard about.

BTW before my budget for a new tractor evaporated ( setting up a new house, road, sewer, power, water and on and on...... , the DK-55 was THE tractor was set on buying, Maybe someday..:)

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #159  
1st and second pic you can see the added bars on the bottom to keep the wood from falling through and the walkway grating and added steel straps at the back. The 3rd pic is with the sides on [I know they are not painted but they work] The 4th pic is loaded with 2 rows of green hard maple [yea it's heavy] The loader will lift it about 5 feet. Here is a pic of the added bracing 2x3 angle and top gussets.grapple 002.jpg and another of the front loaded.grapple 005.jpg

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #160  
Got what you were trying to say now, for a moment there- thought there might be some new CUT I hadn't heard about.

BTW before my budget for a new tractor evaporated ( setting up a new house, road, sewer, power, water and on and on...... , the DK-55 was THE tractor was set on buying, Maybe someday..:)
I would love to get a 55 but it still is not offered in a hydrostat and that is a deal breaker for me. I used to be leary of them but now that I am building units for the oilfield and own a few I won't have anything else. CJ