Grapple Which type of grapple is best suited for...

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #61  
You would have had to clamped it in the middle if you had a single lid. Your grapple would have to opened really wide to do that.

Why is my logic odd? I was just saying I had never heard anyone say they did not like their grapple, or at least own up to it. I know you are always talking about your light weight, economy, single lid grapple, how much does it weigh? Do you know of anyone that complained about their 2 lid grapple and sold it to get one with 1 lid?

If you have the money to buy a Hummer for a grocery getter why no do it?

I am not talking about a skid steer grapple for a compact tractor. They are too heavy.

I don't see how a 48" grapple in most cases will lift as much as a 72" grapple. When I am cleaning up brush with my wide grapple I am not running my tires over it and have to worry about damaging a tire. I am not disputing that a small grapple is not useful. It would be nice at times to have a big one and a small one, just like in your tool box you have different screwdrivers for different jobs. If a 4' grapple is all need on a big compact tractor was it too much for you CK20? Did you wish you had a 3' grapple for it?

1) With regard to the photo you posted, I have lifted/clamped many many stumps like that. You highlighted a big root you presumably think would interfere with my getting a grapple closed on the stump. I doubt it would be an issue and if it was I would simply roll the stump a few degrees to get it out of the way. Never had a stump I could not clamp. Never. Period. Had a few that were too heavy to lift out of the hole but once I pulled them out I could lift and clamp them. Photo below of one such stump I had to pull out with the BH but was later able to move with the grapple.

2) Your logic is odd because you assume that everyone who spends the extra money for a heavier 2 jaw grapple would have been unhappy with a single arm grapple. In fact there are almost no unhappy lightduty grapple owners (aside from some manufacturing/fit issues). Also, the vast majority of grapple buyers are first time buyers so they really are just taking the dealer's word that the more expensive two jaw grapple is "best" for them. If someone tries a one jaw grapple and finds it too limiting then it makes perfect sense to get the bigger one. Most people operate on the principle of efficiency that holds that you use the tool that is adequate for the task rather than the biggest tool you can find. Why are more F150's sold than F350's? Most people don't need the extra size/weight/payload capacity so they are happy with the 150. Same point with the grapple only in this case selecting a light duty single arm grapple actually INCREASES the weight you can lift.

3) If you think it reasonable to select a Hummer to drive to get eggs at the grocery store then that pretty much sums up my argument against your position on the grapple issue.

4) I am sure you can do the math on why a light duty 48" grapple can lift more. Using my tractor as an example, with a 300+lb grapple (manufacturer told me mine weighs 280lbs but I don't believe them) and a 2700lb lift capacity, I can still have about 2400lbs of lift at the pivot pins with my grapple mounted. If I chose a 72" medium duty grapple weighing 600lbs, I would have only 2100lbs of lift capacity remaining. With regard to how much brush can be held in the grapple, I will just say that I can cram in enough brush that I cannot see where I am driving. Brush is "sticky" and if I create an eight foot wide pile of brush I can pick the whole thing up at once. I can lift a bigger log than someone with a wider heavier grapple because I simply can clamp it just as well and have more net lift capacity to lift it. The place where a 72" grapple would do better is in scooping up lots of construction debris as it could sweep 72" at a time rather than 48", however, that doesn't translate into differences in clearing brush. When driving into brush, the 48" grapple clears an area wider than my ?66" wheel distance just like the prow of a ship pushes a bow wave. Brush is "sticky" so it gets dragged in front of the tractor and out of the way of the tires. Generally, I don't run over any brush because the grapple is full before I hit any brush with the tires.

5) My CK20 did just fine with this grapple as many of the photos I posed earlier show. To my knowledge no one makes a 36" grapple so I cannot tell you whether that would have done even better. The CK had a lift capacity of 1070lbs minus 300 for the grapple so net of 770 or so. That was a useful capacity but not nearly as useful as my DK net lift with the grapple of about 2300lbs.

Bottom line: the use of grapples on CUTs is a fairly recent phenomenon and to my knowledge there is virtually nobody who has done extensive unbiased research on what works best. Where is it written that a grapple should be as wide as a standard bucket?? Yet many dealers use that width and many CUT owners are sold more expensive and heavier grapples than necessary. I keep posting that the light duty 48" has been more than adequate and therefore potential grapple owners should think carefully about whether anything larger would do the job any better. I honestly think I can do more with the narrow light grapple and I have yet to see a similar sized tractor with a larger grapple do a task I cannot do efficiently too. If you want to have a Hummer because it makes you feel good that is one thing but it is not reasonable to conclude, based on a successful trip to the grocery store with your Hummer, that a smaller and less expensive vehicle couldn't have done the job just as well and more efficiently.

Attachments

• IMG_3532_small.jpg
    IMG_3532_small.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
   / Which type of grapple is best suited for... #62  
1) With regard to the photo you posted, I have lifted/clamped many many stumps like that. You highlighted a big root you presumably think would interfere with my getting a grapple closed on the stump. I doubt it would be an issue and if it was I would simply roll the stump a few degrees to get it out of the way. Never had a stump I could not clamp. Never. Period. Had a few that were too heavy to lift out of the hole but once I pulled them out I could lift and clamp them. Photo below of one such stump I had to pull out with the BH but was later able to move with the grapple.

Your grapple would have to open really wide to clamp that stump at the root. There was not any rolling this stump.

2) Your logic is odd because you assume that everyone who spends the extra money for a heavier 2 jaw grapple would have been unhappy with a single arm grapple. In fact there are almost no unhappy lightduty grapple owners (aside from some manufacturing/fit issues). Also, the vast majority of grapple buyers are first time buyers so they really are just taking the dealer's word that the more expensive two jaw grapple is "best" for them. If someone tries a one jaw grapple and finds it too limiting then it makes perfect sense to get the bigger one. Most people operate on the principle of efficiency that holds that you use the tool that is adequate for the task rather than the biggest tool you can find. Why are more F150's sold than F350's? Most people don't need the extra size/weight/payload capacity so they are happy with the 150. Same point with the grapple only in this case selecting a light duty single arm grapple actually INCREASES the weight you can lift.
Again you are misunderstanding me. I said everyone that has a grapple is happy with it.

3) If you think it reasonable to select a Hummer to drive to get eggs at the grocery store then that pretty much sums up my argument against your position on the grapple issue.

EGGS? I thought were talking about milk. Eggs would be a whole different storyl :laughing:

4) I am sure you can do the math on why a light duty 48" grapple can lift more. Using my tractor as an example, with a 300+lb grapple (manufacturer told me mine weighs 280lbs but I don't believe them) and a 2700lb lift capacity, I can still have about 2400lbs of lift at the pivot pins with my grapple mounted. If I chose a 72" medium duty grapple weighing 600lbs, I would have only 2100lbs of lift capacity remaining. With regard to how much brush can be held in the grapple, I will just say that I can cram in enough brush that I cannot see where I am driving. Brush is "sticky" and if I create an eight foot wide pile of brush I can pick the whole thing up at once. I can lift a bigger log than someone with a wider heavier grapple because I simply can clamp it just as well and have more net lift capacity to lift it. The place where a 72" grapple would do better is in scooping up lots of construction debris as it could sweep 72" at a time rather than 48", however, that doesn't translate into differences in clearing brush. When driving into brush, the 48" grapple clears an area wider than my ?66" wheel distance just like the prow of a ship pushes a bow wave. Brush is "sticky" so it gets dragged in front of the tractor and out of the way of the tires. Generally, I don't run over any brush because the grapple is full before I hit any brush with the tires.

I can run my 72" grapple across the ground in the woods and not have to worry about running over rough stuff with the tractor.

5) My CK20 did just fine with this grapple as many of the photos I posed earlier show. To my knowledge no one makes a 36" grapple so I cannot tell you whether that would have done even better. The CK had a lift capacity of 1070lbs minus 300 for the grapple so net of 770 or so. That was a useful capacity but not nearly as useful as my DK net lift with the grapple of about 2300lbs.

I don't understand how the same 48'' grapple works perfect for the next to smallest frame size compact tractor and the largest frame size compact tractor:confused3:

Bottom line: the use of grapples on CUTs is a fairly recent phenomenon and to my knowledge there is virtually nobody who has done extensive unbiased research on what works best. Where is it written that a grapple should be as wide as a standard bucket?? Yet many dealers use that width and many CUT owners are sold more expensive and heavier grapples than necessary. I keep posting that the light duty 48" has been more than adequate and therefore potential grapple owners should think carefully about whether anything larger would do the job any better. I honestly think I can do more with the narrow light grapple and I have yet to see a similar sized tractor with a larger grapple do a task I cannot do efficiently too. If you want to have a Hummer because it makes you feel good that is one thing but it is not reasonable to conclude, based on a successful trip to the grocery store with your Hummer, that a smaller and less expensive vehicle couldn't have done the job just as well and more efficiently.

Bottom line is your happy with your 48" and I am happy with my 72" and that is all that matters.

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #63  
I don't understand why you can't pick up something short with just one side?

Either side should close on anything wider than the back tines.

I can. But I have a few hours experience and have learned how. It is just not worth the time to try to pick up a 12" 2x4. A 12" something or other with some diameter can be done as long as the front tine can touch and clamp it, otherwise it just jiggles around and falls out. Like I said it is not well suited for construction cleanup around a new home where there are thousands of small pieces of trash. I have picked up two short items simultaneously, however they had to be positioned juuuust right.

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for...
Simmer down kids! :D

But seriously, I do appreciate all of the fun banter back-and-forth. It's honestly very helpful because it demonstrates exactly what you can do with your respective grapples. Island... I was impressed that your grapple could pick up that rock with just the tips of the tines. I wasn't expecting these to be strong enough at that position to hold onto something that well, especially something like a boulder that you can't "sink" into.

Where did you get that grapple for $500 shipped again? That's a **** cheap price!

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #65  
1 or 2 jaws is a popular topic on here. Everyone that has 1 says get 1 and everyone that has 2 says get 2. The same goes for the size everyone that has a small one likes it and everyone that has a big one likes it. I prefer the biggest grapple the tractor will handle with 2 jaws.
NOT me -i said I would like to have the double lid style.. but I still believe that tying the tines together at the front is a draw back- except for absolute strength and possibly for brush (bush removal) my 02 cents:) as for opening wide-I knew there was a reason to put up with this oversized and Heavy (lid) rhino grapple 009.JPG

i think all of the grapples have an advantage here, a short coming there... as an example this one will not tightly grip a log , and if it did it would have to be like 3' in diameter:eek: So here is to, each their own, and the huge variety is what makes these grapples so interesting..also if i had the extra coin the wicked root grapple would be on my short list, to remove some stumps around here, and imo being narrow is an advantage in lbs. per square inch when cutting roots vs. ground engagement.

Last edited:
   / Which type of grapple is best suited for... #66  

Some people think what they have is superior whether it be a small single lid grapple or golden dog droppings. If someone else has something different, it can't be as good.
Anything you can do with your nice, well built expensive grapple, I can do it twice as good with my cheap grapple.
You like your new luxurious 4x4 crew cab Toyota? Well my 84 S10 that I got off craigslist for $250 can do anything it can do.:grumpy:

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #67  

But seriously, I do appreciate all of the fun banter back-and-forth. It's honestly very helpful because it demonstrates exactly what you can do with your respective grapples. Island... I was impressed that your grapple could pick up that rock with just the tips of the tines. I wasn't expecting these to be strong enough at that position to hold onto something that well, especially something like a boulder that you can't "sink" into.

Where did you get that grapple for $500 shipped again? That's a **** cheap price!

Millonzi in Nelson Ohio. Unfortunately, the business owner John Millonzi, died and the business failed shortly afterwards. The Millonzi grapples were very popular here on TBN when available. Markham/Gator and a few other companies still make the same type of lightweight grapple though prices have doubled from what I paid. I forget the name of the company in ? Louisiana that also makes one but they used 0.125" rather than 0.25" wall 4x4 top tube and had some failures that were discussed here on TBN a year or two ago. WRLong is the granddaddy of CUT grapples and they sell an open bottom grapple of the same style but for lots more dough and only through dealers.

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #68  
Some people think what they have is superior whether it be a small single lid grapple or golden dog droppings. If someone else has something different, it can't be as good.
Anything you can do with your expensive grapple, I can do it twice as good with my cheap grapple.
You like your new luxurious 4x4 crew cab Toyota? Well my 84 S10 that I got off craigslist for $250 can do anything it can do.:grumpy:

And some people just buy whatever the dealer tells them to without doing any research and then get defensive about how much better their Escalade is than a Suburban. If you do your research then you'll make a good decision. Bullitt is absolutely correct that everyone loves whatever grapple they have. Any grapple is better than no grapple. I argue the light duty side because dealers almost always up sell so potential buyers never hear about the less expensive options except on places like TBN.

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #69  
It seems to me that if you intend to dig out rocks or do any deep rooting, you would want a narrow grapple. Narrow grapples come with one lid in general. The lid(s) on an L grapple really only holds the load on the bottom tines, it doesn't do much else. I would submit that a wide grapple on a CUT/SCUT would make a 2 lid (wide) grapple more one dimensional, mostly for carrying only. More important to me is the opening (vertical) dimension between bottom and upper teeth. A larger opening allows for a bigger bite. I am surprised the vertical dimension isn't discussed more.

Rake grapples can be a different story on width of the grapple.

/ Which type of grapple is best suited for... #70  
NOT me -i said I would like to have the double lid style.. but I still believe that tying the tines together at the front is a draw back- except for absolute strength and possibly for brush (bush removal) my 02 cents:) as for opening wide-I knew there was a reason to put up with this oversized and Heavy (lid) View attachment 313668

i think all of the grapples have an advantage here, a short coming there... as an example this one will not tightly grip a log , and if it did it would have to be like 3' in diameter:eek: So here is to, each their own, and the huge variety is what makes these grapples so interesting..also if i had the extra coin the wicked root grapple would be on my short list, to remove some stumps around here, and imo being narrow is an advantage in lbs. per square inch when cutting roots vs. ground engagement.

But it will still pick up and move smaller diameter logs, it doesn't have to grip it tight. I vote for a wide opening for brush. :thumbsup:

Look what can be done on forks, no grapple!
P9260015.JPG P9260016.JPG
I pulled them with a chain to the pile, then picked them up and dropped them on the pile.