Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder??????

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #11  
Nevertheless we have the same discussion on the same topic about every 3 to 4 months.

I know, this is so much fun to listen and go over this every few months. Semantics gentlemen. What do you mean when you say which way to turn a FEL hydraulic cylinder? Are we just swapping ends? Swapping hoses? If we are just swapping ends, then extend and retract do NOT come into the discussion and the difference between the amount of push or pull does not change.

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #12  
Either rod up or down, it has the same strength to push the bucket up. All else being equal, position it for best hose routing. If a dirty environment, position it rod down for better rod seal protection.

Bruce
That is incorrect. CCWKEN has it right. The cylinders have more power in the rod extend mode due to larger surface area. When the rod retracts, you have to deduct the diameter of the cylinder rod itself since no hydraulic fluid is acting on it, only the plunger portion that is remaining minus the rod diameter. I hope I am clearly explaining this.

You clearly explained it, but the cylinders always extend to raise the loader, mounted either way.

P8171927.JPG

Pictures from an image search:

Chamberlain FEL 4B.jpg

economy_powerking_tractor_with_5_attachments_and_front_end_loader_fel_dual_trans_12_lgw.jpg

Last edited:
   / Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder??????
Still working on this, I got sidetracked on other projects. I have realized there is no other way but to turn them around to make these cylinders work with this loader. In that case does anyone know how much longer I need to make the hoses? I was thinking it would be the length of the stroke but I've been wrong more then once....LOL. Maybe I could make the hard lines longer? Any ideas?

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #14  
Make a trial fit using a rope or extension cord to simulate the hose. Duct tape it to hold it in position. Mark, remove, and measure.

Bruce

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #15  
You probably can buy stock hoses a couple of feet or so long to extend your current hoses if they are in good condition for much less than buy new full length hoses.

/ Which way to turn a FEL Hydraulic Cylinder?????? #16  
Does it really matter which end of the cylinder goes where except may have to extend lines? The rod end is now on the down side which means the whole cylinder is being pushed up with the bucket leaving just the rod to hold all the weight, what would happen if they were reversed except controls would work different?

Still working on this, I got sidetracked on other projects. I have realized there is no other way but to turn them around to make these cylinders work with this loader. In that case does anyone know how much longer I need to make the hoses? I was thinking it would be the length of the stroke but I've been wrong more then once....LOL. Maybe I could make the hard lines longer? Any ideas?
When the whole cylinder is pushed up with the bucket, the cylinder extends to support the weight. The rod is strong enough to hold the weight.

If you put the rod end up, the cylinder extends, the bucket goes up. The controls still work the same if the hoses are connected correctly.

I don't understand how making the hard lines longer would help?

Pictures sure would help.

Are you replacing the original cylinders?