Whining

/ Whining #1  

confederatemule

Silver Member
I bought a new Kioti CS2220HS last month. It sounds fine till I press the forward or reverse pedal. At that point it starts whining. Any time the tractor is moving it whines, the faster the louder. The transmission fluid is on the full mark. It seems to do the work it is supposed to do, it just sounds like the brake is applied, but it is not. To make sure I have taken it out of gear and it will free roll forward or backward. Is this sound normal?

To me it sounds like a hydraulic pump that has reached it's limit and the relief valve is squealing as the pressure is bypassing through it.

Mule

/ Whining #4  
That sounds normal. When I did my first hydraulic/HST filter change, I also replaced the fluid with MOBIL 424. Much quieter after that.
Patrick
I am going to try the Mobil 424 (aka Mobil Del Vac) with my 1,000 change. My dealer recommended Wolveshead and it whines worse than Traveller from TSC.

/ Whining #5  
I bought a new Kioti CS2220HS last month. It sounds fine till I press the forward or reverse pedal. At that point it starts whining. Any time the tractor is moving it whines, the faster the louder. The transmission fluid is on the full mark. It seems to do the work it is supposed to do, it just sounds like the brake is applied, but it is not. To make sure I have taken it out of gear and it will free roll forward or backward. Is this sound normal?

To me it sounds like a hydraulic pump that has reached it's limit and the relief valve is squealing as the pressure is bypassing through it.

Mule
Hydrostatic transmissions will whine. I was surprised how loud mine was compared to hydrostatic riding mowers I've had in the past. At your 50 hour service I would replace the fluid with Mobil Delvac/424, even though it says you only need to change the filter. It's cheap insurance and it should quiet the whine considerably.

/ Whining #6  
They don't call them the whiner tranny for no reason...

SR

/ Whining #7  
Yep, whine is normal. I actually decided to sell my LS MT125 because of the whine. Went back to a shuttle shift to get away from it..... used to make my ear drums squeal....

/ Whining #9  
My MX Kubota only whines when I work it really hard. Reminds me to choose a lower gear, 4 wd, or otherwise reduce the load.

/ Whining #10  
Hydrostats are touchy when it comes to fluid. I would NEVER use cheap Traveller fluid in any hydrostat. Only thing that stuff is good for is starting burn pile fires, least in my opinion