Whining

/ Whining #12  
....I guess this one is related to hearing and personal musical tastes.

This my first HST tractor and to be honest I do not notice a sound/feel/performance that seems odd. Honestly it feels every bit as solid in movement as a gear/shuttle tractor ......with the added benefit of not attempting to ride-the-clutch when you need some small forward or reverse movement.

I actually prefer the HST pedals plus brake for small maneuver movements and do not notice any concerning whining from the HST transmission. The HST operation seems very solid to me.

I did my own 50hr service at 35hrs changing out both filters and new Kioti THfluid (even thou the dealer said I could reuse the original). I used Kioti fluid to avoid a 'discussion' if there was any future transmission warranty issues. The only thing I noticed in doing the service was that both filters where torqued on way too tight and likely without lube on the rubber seals. It was not easy getting the factor filters off.

When I did get them off I opened them up to see what they collected - no metal shavings - just some bits of silicone gasket sealant.

No concerns here, so far, about the HST operation.

2023 with 145hrs.

/ Whining #13  
That is interesting to hear that there was no metal in the filters..my dealer said not to worry about filter change untill 200 hour mark on my ns5310. I bought the filters anyways but haven't put them on yet..tractor is at 70hours..these filters cost so much I'm on the fence about waiting a little longer now..

/ Whining #14  
.......hmmmmm .......my long term experience with engines is that the first filter change is better sooner than later and it is worthwhile cutting them open to have a look-see for what is there. The build process for an engine is not perfectly clean and there is always some material that gets inside. If you see metal in the first filter, best to check the second filter to ensure it was just build debris and not excessive wear.

Once you know your clean, then you can choose to extend the interval if you want.

In theory, you should never have a wear problem in a new engine, but I have noticed over my life that theory and reality can be different. Any manufacture process will have a failure rate - in theory very small.........but in my 2023 CS the failure was a head flange that was not machined down enough and contacted the valve rods when at operating temp. One valve rod eventually broke after 100+ hours. Not enough metal to notice in the oil filter, but enough heat stress on the rod to eventually crack it.

Fortunately the rod broke in a place where the valve could not drop into the cylinder and "F" the entire engine. The top of the rod just dropped into the valve oil well.

They have 'warranties for a reason' as no mass production process is perfect.

Last edited:
   / Whining #15  
I did change the engine filter at the 50 mark..it was only the hydrolic and hat filter that my dealer said to wait till 200h

/ Whining #16  
Hydrostats are touchy when it comes to fluid. I would NEVER use cheap Traveller fluid in any hydrostat. Only thing that stuff is good for is starting burn pile fires, least in my opinion
The oil for whatever needs oil is SHELL Rotella for the engine, SHELL S3 grease, CASTROL 90 weight gear oil, I am not sure off the top of my head what hydraulic oil I am using but I think it is PETROCAN 90 weight. They own SUNOCO up here.

/ Whining #17  
....I guess this one is related to hearing and personal musical tastes.

This my first HST tractor and to be honest I do not notice a sound/feel/performance that seems odd. Honestly it feels every bit as solid in movement as a gear/shuttle tractor ......with the added benefit of not attempting to ride-the-clutch when you need some small forward or reverse movement.

I actually prefer the HST pedals plus brake for small maneuver movements and do not notice any concerning whining from the HST transmission. The HST operation seems very solid to me.

I did my own 50hr service at 35hrs changing out both filters and new Kioti THfluid (even thou the dealer said I could reuse the original). I used Kioti fluid to avoid a 'discussion' if there was any future transmission warranty issues. The only thing I noticed in doing the service was that both filters where torqued on way too tight and likely without lube on the rubber seals. It was not easy getting the factor filters off.

When I did get them off I opened them up to see what they collected - no metal shavings - just some bits of silicone gasket sealant.

No concerns here, so far, about the HST operation.

2023 with 145hrs.
Currently my 2012 CK27hst has 1220 hours on it and it has whined since day one. I asked the dealer about it and he said that some do and some don't. Don't sweat it, just turn the stereo up louder. So after the warranty was up I put a straight pipe on it. Now I got something to listen to. Through the exhaust note I can hear when I am lugging the engine down. The hydraulic relief valve starts to squawk, too.
I run SHELL in most everything I own.
I used to run Sun oil products until Petro-Canada bought them out. I do not shell out my hard earned scheckles to P-C IF I can possibly help it, but I am pretty quite sure that it is SUN-OIL gear oil I am using.

/ Whining #18  
My TYM isnt the first hydro tractor I've run, but it is probably the quietest. I can't hear it over the tractor. From this thread I've learned not to cheap out on the hyd fluid during the first change this year.

/ Whining #19  
This is what I use in my 2014 CK30HST. Currently close to 600 hours on the Amsoil Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission oil. Runs quiet and even in the cold Canadian winter months the hydraulics act like it’s summer. Not cheap but the long drain interval helps…

IMG_0056.jpeg

Last edited: