White 543 4 row no till corn planter? Good deal?

/ White 543 4 row no till corn planter? Good deal? #1  

whitmerlegacyfarm

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 Kioti DK50SE HST w/ 401 Loader
Hey Guys,
I'm looking at a White 543 4 row no till corn planter. I think I can pick it up for $700 bucks, guys asking $800 bucks but I only got 700 to give. I've only been making hay on 40 ac the last 2 years now. Looking to try a little corn now I guess. This sounds like a decent price, was used in the spring to plant corn. It's set up for 30" Rows. Good fertilizer boxes, looks nice. Hoping my 50 hp 4x4 compact can handle it till I get a 70 to 80hp ag tractor.

Thanks all

/ White 543 4 row no till corn planter? Good deal? #2  
The best I can tell the White 543 is the same/ as Oliver 543, which means it's getting a lot of years on it but it was still a solid machine in it's day. It's a plate planter I believe, same plates as a Deere I believe, I have several hundred plates here at work. Lots of manuals and parts books available online but I'm not sure about actual "parts". The price is right and you could do a little work/upgrades. If you can find a "kit" to upgrade it to roller chains instead of flat chains. Look for a way to add weight to it, tractor suitcase weights or barrels of water to make it go in the ground. In general while planting if you don't see an occasional seed on top of the ground you may be planting to deep. I think some parts of Penn may be a bit rocky so she may be hard to keep in the ground.

/ White 543 4 row no till corn planter? Good deal? #3  
Good planter
I had one 700 is probably good if its in decent shape. I always planted 36 inch rows.