White oil?

/ White oil? #1  

Dwain alver

Tractor
Just bought a frontier 4060e finish mower, initial check out reveals white oil in the gear gear box. Dealer says normal, is he pulling my leg?

/ White oil? #4  
Yes, water in oil. Change it out before having rust and bearing issues if they haven't already cropped up.

I've seen this happen when someone uses a pressure washer and they spray gear boxes.

/ White oil? #5  
Water in the oil is likely it, but, I bought a Howse rotary cutter that I thought had water in the oil and it turned out to be the actual color of the oil. I don't know what the factory fill oil was, but it was cream colored. I saved it and it never separated like oil and water typically do. It got filled with new oil anyway. I'd just change it to be safe.

/ White oil? #6  
At work, we have to use mostly food safe lubricants, and most of them tend to be whiteish. I can't think why anyone would use that in a rotary, but who knows...
I'd likely just change it and move on. Put whatever the manual specifies back in.

/ White oil? #7  
assuming the gear head is the sameish as a brush hog.... I used John Deere corn head grease in all my brush hogs mainly for the high heat destroying the pinion seal. Grease turns to liquid when hot ...back to grease when it cools down.

/ White oil? #8  
Welcome to TBN.
Contact Frontie just make sure,and if they no contact dealer for refund.

/ White oil? #9  
Ask the dealer for a quart of white oil, just in case you need more. It could be a thinner white lithium grease.

Doug in SW IA

/ White oil? #10  
Dealer says normal, is he pulling my leg?
no and yes. Water often gets in the gear box. It's sort of kind of normal but should be remedied when found. So this is a used implement - - Yes? If it's new then that's weird and NOT normal. If it's used, you just learned something unpleasant about the dealer. He wants to turn around used gear with no one putting any effort into it; no oil changes, no tune ups, no inspection of critical components, yadda yadda yadda.

Keep water out of the gear box by covering the mower when not in use.