whitetails

/ whitetails #21  
Well I don't know if their antis, but 3 of my tree stands where stolen this year off private property.Thats alot of my money down the tubes and good spots to hunt going unhunted. I f i catch these a$%&*&%, things will get ugly for sure.

/ whitetails #22  
Robert, I have a $250 deductable, so there goes any chance of getting paid for the camera. But the good news is a guy I play hockey with owns a large security co. They make up all kinds of wireless camera systems. So he is going to help me put a video setup together with motion decector and VCR. He said he has a lot of used stuff sitting around on the shelfs that he won't sell to his customers that I can have! So I hope to have a working system up and running by the end of next week. I'll take photos of the combo camera, transmitter squirrel nest when I get it built!

/ whitetails #23  
Illinois DNR has confirmed that CWD has been found within that state. University of Iowa conducting extensive tests to determine if CWD from wild deer can jump species to cattle.

There is a strong concern that these prions, or abnormal proteins, could remain latent in their potential human host for 10, 20, 30 years. Hopefully the knowledge we have about mad cow and scrappie (sheep) can help.

I love hunting. About 10 years ago I gave up waterfowl hunting after we bought a boat. Could not eat the ducks or geese after seeing the water conditions in my home region. Since I don't have a bird dog, my upland hunting was limited to grouse.

Which worked out perfect. Chasing bear, deer, grouse make for great times. Well, bear tags are earned through a lottery system. So that meant deer and grouse every year. And once in a while chasing bears!

Three years ago I bought 90 acres that backs up to several sections of county forest. Whitetails, grouse, and a bonus - turkeys! Put up a 24x24 shack with a loft. Life was great.

This year, grouse populations are near the bottom of their population cycle. No bear "harvest permit." Can't get excited about whitetails this year. Hopefully, CWD gets corked before it's all the way out of the bottle.

/ whitetails #24  
If this works attached is a file of my son's 8-pointer he killed 2 years ago. 22-inch inside spread, tall tines, nice buck. Of course it had to be just a shade larger than anything I've killed, still get reminded every time deer are mentioned. Sorry about the anti-interference. We've had some interference from a couple of bow hunters trying to hunt on my friends land without permission. Tearing up our stands, spreading human hair, deoderant, etc. Real pain, lasted for 3 years, finally stopped (fingers crossed).

/ whitetails
no luck for me so far, only seen 1 deer a doe, while armed with the bow. she wa spooked by 2 tom turkeys.... saw more deer with cam corder lol.
my buddy however killed very nice one saturday at 815. 30 yd shot in a reclaimed field planted with poplar's . 10 pointer. had a time broke off, or wouldve been an 11. dressed out at
205 lbs. thank god for 4 wheelers.

/ whitetails #27  
Me neither. I did have a doe cross the road in front of me on my way home from the tree stand - aggravating. Two more weekends to go.

/ whitetails #28  
I just read that Texas is going to reopen their borders for the deer industry. There are also suppose to be some new test that are being perfected now that will test a animal for CWD without having to kill them. Hopefully that will work out well as then the deer industry can go back to normal. As for my hunting, I have only made it out opening day. Spent the rest of the time working on our house trying to get it sealed up for winter. We tore off the old siding and are resheating the entire house so that we can side it this winter in our spare time. Hopefully can find some time to make it out hunting a couple more times before gun season.

/ whitetails #29  
Here's a guy that I snapped a picture of this am. He had just finished scraping the ground and marking. There was an interested doe nearby.

Attachments

• 35-209111-PB120008a.JPG
    35-209111-PB120008a.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 84
   / whitetails #30  
The problem is that this picture is taken off the deck in my backyard, not a hunting blind. We live in suburban Detroit, Michigan. I took this picture through the railing as I carefully snuck the door open. I then walked out onto the deck to take the picture for the previous post. The deer was 33 feet away and just stood there and looked at me. He then calmy continued eating my Oak Leaf Hydrangea (the green plant in the picture). It has been a rough summer for the deer - there are no more Hostas, Roses, Lilies, Dahlias, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Green peppers, Beans, Basil, Crabtree blossoms or other landscape plants left in my yard, and they must subsist on Hydrangeas! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

• 35-209117-PB120007a.JPG
    35-209117-PB120007a.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 82