Who can afford a new truck anymore?

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #11  
Well count yourself lucky, my North American friends.

A current Ford Ranger (here in Aus) is being touted, new, at the bargain price of A$53,490.00.

Thankfully I bought my '07 Toyota Hylux (Tundra in NA?) at 5 yo for A$20,000.00 + trade in. Unless I win the lottery, that ute of mine is being driven into the ground before I buy another vehicle.

Last edited:
   / Who can afford a new truck anymore? #12  
I'm among those who know they'll never be able to buy another new truck. My 2001 Ford Ranger had 112k miles on it, so it might last the rest of my lifetime. Nearly a year ago, we did buy a 2014 Ford Escape with about 16k miles on it, so hopefully, it's the last car we buy.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #13  
My 2011 Dodge is the last truck I will buy. I'm set for life. :laughing::eek:

The new ones sure are expensive. I don't know what a std. cab, 8' bed & AC costs, I never see those on a lot. I always wonder who is buying those expensive trucks.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #14  
My 2011 Dodge is the last truck I will buy. I'm set for life. :laughing::eek:

The new ones sure are expensive. I don't know what a std. cab, 8' bed & AC costs, I never see those on a lot. I always wonder who is buying those expensive trucks.

ADD: I suppose for a family a crew cab makes a truck into an all-purpose vehicle. It can haul, tow, 4x4 for winter. A truck like that with a beater for a second car might be a good combination.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #15  
payments= American way! lol

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #16  
I still can't understand why an American made F150 truck is so expensive in America. Here in Toronto (Canada), you can easily get a nicely equipped F1150 Super Crew 4 x 4 XLT with the 302a package for less than $30 K Canadian. That's only $24k US!😗

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #17  
I bought a new F-150 in Sep 2012 for $24,000 without anything extra on it. Just a bare bones XL model with the extra cab and 8ft bed. Payments are just over $300 a month for six years, but I'm paying double to get it paid off sooner. I see all those high dollar trucks on the roads and wonder what they do for a living, or if they live in shacks and put all their money into their truck? I used to work with guys like that. They leased BMW's or Mercedes and drove around like they where big money, but they rented run down, low dollar homes and said that's just where they keep their stuff. To them, it was all about what they thought others thought about how they looked.

Eddie

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #18  
I bought a new F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel in 2003 for the outrageous price of $32,000. I still have it. That same truck is now $60,000+. What the heck has happened??

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #19  
Probably 60-70% of the trucks I see on the road are not used as trucks at all, at least here in my area. Many are used strictly as family vehicles or daily drivers, and judging by the condition, hardly ever see a load in the bed. So I think that is why prices are high -- customers are wanting trucks equipped more like luxury cars.

When I was shopping for a truck a year ago, it was frustrating because almost everything I saw on the lots were dolled up barbie trucks with loads of options, costing $60K or more. Rams were especially bad in that regard -- they didn't even have work trucks on the lot, just these leather-laden urban cowboy rigs with the super short bed (seems useless to me). Once I settled on GMC, it took a while to find a crew cab with cloth seats, 4x4, 3.42 gears, and the 6'6" bed, but I did and jumped on it. Sticker price was in the mid $40K range, which was still ridiculous to me, but $7K of rebates knocked it back down into the high $30K range where I could feel decent about spending the money. It's been great and the truck has been heavily used to pickup lumber and supplies on a weekly basis.

/ Who can afford a new truck anymore? #20  
I never buy new vehicles...and I flat out refuse to spend more then I paid for my first house ($57000 in 1987) for a new truck.