Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations

/ Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations #11  
I do minimum of yearly changes, and generally a couple, depending on hours. In some cases.. that is 50 or 100 hr changes.

I work in dusty environments and the air filters also get changed every time.. inner and outter.. even though the inner can be changed every other time.

The engine and pumps on my machine are worth more than the 20-30$ in filters. Heck.. the oil is the most expensive part.. not the filters. When you arre talking 40+ qts of UTF fluid!!!

Soundguy

/ Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations #12  
I change oil close to manufactured recommendations in most my stuff. Kabota recommends 100 hours but I plan on doing it alittle early this time to get back to even numbers, than each 100 hours. Just got filter for the little mower at 80 hours but it’s been over 5 years. The pickup I do around 6000 like recommended but the car says 30,000 and it has over 100000 now with only three changes without any problems. The Harley and ninja bikes I do at 3000 like they recommend but the jeep may get changed at 100 or less if some deep water/mud is involved. The new oils, filters and engine/machining/metallurgy go along way making equipment last longer but my guess is the manufacture has a pretty good idea what is best for their stuff. Of course oil analyzing is the only way short of tearing stuff down to know what is going on in there.

/ Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations #13  
Doc_Bob said:
Who follows manufacturer's oil and filter change recommendations? If you follow it, why and if not, why not.

New Holland suggests 300 hours before each are changed on my TN70A. What do other manufacturers suggest for their machines? For example, does New Holland suggest 300 hours for filter and oil for all their machines? What about Kubota? John Deere? Montana, etc?
Bob

Bob, don't you think you should have stated that 300 hr is hydraulic oil? Your engine oil recommendation is 100 hr, I betcha.:rolleyes:

/ Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations #14  
I'm just closing in on 100 hours, plan to just follow the manual. This is my first new tractor and I'd like to keep it a while.

/ Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations #15  
I always do 100 hours on the engine oil and filter and 400 hours on the transmission oil and filters on all our Kubotas.

/ Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations #16  
I believe in following manufacturers service schedule until the warranty runs out.You usually know by then if you got a good one or not.If not get rid of it.
I get part of my philosophy from a man I used to work for, he traded cars every year I know he never had oil changed, actually I dont think he even checked the levels.

/ Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations #17  
Instead of the reccommended 100 hrs,i do it at 50.My 3 cylinder diesal doesnt cost much to change.ABOUT 150 hrs per year.MY craftsman rider is an 87 with original motor.[runs like new] always change at 10 hours.
ALAN

/ Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations
jinman said:
Bob, don't you think you should have stated that 300 hr is hydraulic oil? Your engine oil recommendation is 100 hr, I betcha.:rolleyes:

I took a look at the owners manual again. Both engine oil, and both tranny filter and engine filters are done at 300 hours. The tranny fluid is done at 2 years or 1200 hours. So, do I change the tranny filter prior to 300 hours?? Do I change the tranny filter before 2 years or 1200 hours?
Bob

/ Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations #19  
Purusing my manual shows a myriad of oil change intervals, depending on fuel type ( bio/rapeseed 75 hrs ).. (High sulfur 150 hrs) Cold weather operation, 150 hrs.. etc.

I did notice that 4wd front axle oil is marked to be changed at 50 hr intervals. I don't have 4wd on my unit.. but was surprised to see the low hour interval.

Soundguy

/ Who follows manufacturer's oil change recommendations #20  
On my tractor its every 50 hrs. Every thing effects when you should change your oil. Dusty conditions,using the tractor for short periods when it doesn't get warm enough to evaporate the condensation,running it hard,and lots of idleing all effects the oil. UOA is a good thing to do. But I think it should be used to make shure you are not going to far between oil changes not how far can you go. It is called preventitive mantainence. Records of a good service routine is also a good selling point. Our mixers at work hold 36 to 40 qts of oil and they get changed every 300 hrs our semi tractos get changed at 10,000 miles. Better safe than sorry.