Who is mushroom hunting?

/ Who is mushroom hunting?
Morel season was rather mediocre this spring. We found only 17 morels. Our son found a garbage bag of morels on his hunting property little south from us. We found oyster mushroom first time about two weeks ago and they are still producing on several dead trees. I don't remember ever founding them this early. Dryad's saddles are also appearing but I would pick those onlhy if there is nothing else.

DSC00632.JPG

DSC00634.JPG

/ Who is mushroom hunting? #12  
My daughter-in-law likes to mushroom. She checks our woods when they visit. Found a good bunch of these last year Captdddddddddddddddddure.JPG We gave her a kit over the winter to grow them and she did. Her mother, grew up in Russia taught her girls to mushroom, but Dasha is the best at it.
My wife looks for chaga to make tea, but as for mushrooms- we are clueless.

My daughter-in-law likes to mushroom. She checks our woods when they visit. Found a good bunch of these last year View attachment 510366 We gave her a kit over the winter to grow them and she did. Her mother, grew up in Russia taught her girls to mushroom, but Dasha is the best at it.

I understand Russian but don't know what chaga is. I can't identify exactly the mushroom on the picture but I think it likes to grow around aspens and birches. If it is the mush room I think it is it makes great soup mushroom and also is great "umami" when cooking meat dishes.

/ Who is mushroom hunting? #14  
My wife went out and got some, here's a couple nice ones,

standard.jpg

They are done here now...

SR

/ Who is mushroom hunting? #15  
chaga is a medicinal mushroom grows on birch and others I think. Its used to make chaga tea.

/ Who is mushroom hunting? #16  
We found about six or so (morels) right around the trunk of a chopped down dead elm this last weekend. Is that a typical spot for them? We did a cursory inspection of the rest of our hundred acres and didn't even find one more.

We found about six or so (morels) right around the trunk of a chopped down dead elm this last weekend. Is that a typical spot for them? We did a cursory inspection of the rest of our hundred acres and didn't even find one more.

When the tree is dying it moves nutrients to roots. The mushroom senses that and develops the fruiting body above ground. Dying or recenly dead elms are the primary location for morels.

/ Who is mushroom hunting? #18  
I understand Russian but don't know what chaga is. I can't identify exactly the mushroom on the picture but I think it likes to grow around aspens and birches. If it is the mush room I think it is it makes great soup mushroom and also is great "umami" when cooking meat dishes.

Chaga wicki link.
Inonotus obliquus - Wikipedia

The mushroom my daughter-in-law picked was in an area with aspen (poplar) and birch, spruce and red maple.

/ Who is mushroom hunting? #19  
My daughter-in-law likes to mushroom. She checks our woods when they visit. Found a good bunch of these last year View attachment 510366 We gave her a kit over the winter to grow them and she did. Her mother, grew up in Russia taught her girls to mushroom, but Dasha is the best at it.
That looks like some kind of bolete.