Who makes the repairs on your tractor?

/ Who makes the repairs on your tractor? #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
I'm new to tractors.

I have alot of year's experience working on cars/ light duty trucks.

Do you think tractors are more difficult to maintain/repair or much easier?

Obviously I feel intimidated by them since I know so little about them.

I can say I just did alot of general maintenance work to my small B6100 and what a difference, very satisfied with results.

It's almost a different machine that I will now continue to care for

I'd like to be able to say the same for my L2501

/ Who makes the repairs on your tractor? #2  
Older tractors just like older trucks easy as pie . The only thing different between tractors and trucks tractors might have a lot more hydraulics .Ie if it has a loader or rear hydros . Remember its just another machine if you could figure cars and trucks you can figure out tractors . Service manual is your teacher.When I buy a new piece of equipment that's the first thing I buy.:cool2::drink:

/ Who makes the repairs on your tractor? #3  
My tractor is brand new, so the dealer is doing any repairs while the warranty is in place. I'm doing the 8 hours service on the mower and 10 hour on the loader. I struck a deal when I purchased the tractor and the dealer will be doing the 50 hour service.

My dad does all his service on his MF which was his dad's tractor and been in the family since 1970s.

/ Who makes the repairs on your tractor? #4  
My first tractor - a brand new 1982 Ford 1700 4WD - never needed any repair work done on it for the 27 years I owned it. Just routine maintenance.

My Kubota M6040 was brand new when I bought it in 2009. It has not needed any repairs either. Just routine maintenance.

I'm not a diesel mechanic. So if repairs were ever needed - the tractor would be going back to the dealer.

/ Who makes the repairs on your tractor? #5  
I'm new to tractors.

I have alot of year's experience working on cars/ light duty trucks.

Do you think tractors are more difficult to maintain/repair or much easier?

The answer for me is “ it depends “

Tractor parts are generally easier to access on the machine than in cars and have more space for your hands and tools to fit. Some tractor parts ie. rear wheels can be very heavy. I dont get the same salt corrosion problems on my tractors so getting parts off can be easier. I cant put the tractor on a car lift so getting underneath means using using a creeper...something I cant do on modern cars.

And you may need a bigger set of tools to buy like 1 inch drive socket sets and bigger impact guns.

/ Who makes the repairs on your tractor? #6  
There’s very little on an L2501 that an experienced automotive mechanic can’t handle given whatever technical info that may be required. Odds are that basic service and maintenance is all you will be faced with for the foreseeable future.

/ Who makes the repairs on your tractor? #7  
Get real shop manuals and read up on tractor hydraulic function

/ Who makes the repairs on your tractor? #8  
I do 95% of the work on my machine.

When it becomes too complex (time consuming), I'd take to the dealer.

I value my time.

/ Who makes the repairs on your tractor? #9  
Tractors, trucks, cars, ATVs, house, everything is done by me. Been burned to many times, I have the skills, and can't trust anyone else enough to to what I expect.

/ Who makes the repairs on your tractor? #10  
Besides tools, our friend is a good shop and parts manual.
I rebuilt my front differential (all 8 ring gear fasteners sheared away) with the manual as my helper.
As a result both ring gear and pinion had chipped teeth and a lot of bits and pieces of metal in the cage.

When I re assembled I safety wired those 8 fasteners as well as used lock tight.(factory relied on metal tabs with folded edges to prevent rotation)
That was over 800 hours ago and no problems.

I always like to own manuals for all my equipment. (including cars and trucks)