Who needs a thumb?!

/ Who needs a thumb?! #31  
I would like that on the front SS attach. It's a compromise, since you have to drive backwards. But hey, your neck does need excercise. Also, you don't have to turn around and deploy the backhoe.

/ Who needs a thumb?! #32  
Good luck on that. I’ve never seen a small one. Most of those are on bigger log loaders and are a complicated attachment that aren’t cheap.

/ Who needs a thumb?! #33  
Don't many of the smaller (non commercial) forwarders use them?

By the time I get one built or found, my piles of pine slash will be decomposed anyway.

/ Who needs a thumb?! #34  
Yes .... I understand. But then again, they used to say that about backhoes, grapples, graders (box blades) and a number of other things.

I mean, ya' know, they put them in vending machines to pick up toys, so ....

/ Who needs a thumb?! #35  
What would you use the rotary claw for? They’re a necessity for loading logs but I don’t see much advantages and in many cases inferior to a hydraulic thumb.

/ Who needs a thumb?! #36  
A vending machine that dispenses mostly frustration.

Log grapples are so cool because you can pick up several large logs or just one toothpick (held firmly) with the same claw.

/ Who needs a thumb?! #37  
Note to self. . . . One.

Betcha he didn't get far with that wide load. Seems to me, a logging style grapple would be infinitely more useful. I know it would be for me.

That may not be what's going on there. Looking back on the picture on message #25, I often do the same - I use the thumb to pick up a downed tree to about that height to make it easier to limb and then chainsaw into sections.

BTW, around here most TLBs have thumbs now, but thumbs were rare 20 years ago. I wouldn't buy one today without a thumb.
rScotty

/ Who needs a thumb?! #38  
Post 25 was posted by me and there is a thumb on it. IMG_2064.JPGIMG_2054.JPGIMG_1990.JPG