Whole house surge protector

/ Whole house surge protector #1  

JethroB

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HSTC Cab, MF 135 Diesel
Hello fellow members,

I recently lost a second PC and some other electronics in about four years from surges or nearby lightning strikes during thunderstorms. Do any of you have knowledge or experience with the surge protectors that are supposed to protect the entire house? My power company offers a device for about $10 per month. See example below from Amazon for about $200.

I am also looking into protection for my coax cable/internet service as I believe the recent Zap came through the cable line as only the equipment hardwired to it got toasted. (cable modem, router and PC) A UPS is used on the power side but it doesn’t have coax protection.

Thanks

EC002E2B-2683-4E52-99A2-04A8F9C0AD63.png

Last edited:
   / Whole house surge protector #2  
Not quite the same, but I lost 2 phones and a phone surge protector to lightening strikes. Based on TBN member suggestions I checked where their line was connected to the ground rod and discovered that it was loose and dirty. I cleaned the contacts, tightened it down and haven't had a problem since. :thumbsup:

Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself, for the last couple of hours I've been hearing thunder rumbling off in the distance.

/ Whole house surge protector #3  
that does look like a good device, and should be installed, but you need to have a professional install a lightning rod on your house to lessen the probability of a lightning strike doing serious damage!.. lightning is very serious!.

/ Whole house surge protector #4  
I have two, I have been meaning to put in for years now. But I have my PCs on a UPS. Never had a problem.

Been also meaning to rewire the house so other stuff like entertainment equipment is on a UPS. Hate when the power flickers and everything resets.

/ Whole house surge protector #5  
I got one that plugs into my panel. Takes two spaces, but they can still be used for circuits unlike some other plug in ones.

QSA2020SPD_1702__47361.1581622105.250.300.jpg

I added a second ground rod about 10' from the first on advice that it will spread the contact.

/ Whole house surge protector #6  
Makes a lot of sense since you should have a dedicated breaker for the surge suppressor anyway. But curious about that. Do people just put them on some other used circuit?

/ Whole house surge protector #7  
I forget now what I put mine on ... an existing 220 two pole circuit, maybe the electric cooktop or water heater.

/ Whole house surge protector #8  
One of the ones I have is a SQUARE D or something and comes in a HUGE metal box that also has Phone and COAX protection if I recall. For a single point ground. Now I struggle for a place to mount it. Which is probably why I have not installed it. Small is good! As long as it's a quality item.

/ Whole house surge protector #9  
Problem I have with all of these types of devices no matter the size, brand or style is.....

How do you know if it worked?

You can have a hundred storms go by and never take a damaging strike. How do you know if you just never got hit, or if you did and this device protected you? If you do get hit and take damage, how do you know if the device failed outright, or if the strike exceeded the device's capabilities? Yes, I know some of them have indicators to let you know protection is 'active', but they still don't let you know if they ever took a strike and protected you.

/ Whole house surge protector #10  
Does it matter if you don't know if it took the hit? As long as nothing got damaged in all the storms near you, it's all good.
I was told if you need a really good one, buy one that has a garantee not a warrenty.
Anything that you install must be installed with the wires as short as possible and/or in a straight line to breaker/connection.