Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT?

/ Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT? #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
A few questions...

Did you make it yourself (Pictures please)

What remote do you use to power it (Dump/Tilt or PTO)

What would you do different?

/ Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT? #2  
Mine runs off a PTO powered hydraulic pump...

standard.jpg

What would I do different? I would have bought it a LOT sooner!!

The one that I have that runs off the remotes, it's too sloooooow...

SR

/ Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT? #3  
   / Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT? #4  
If I was going to do it myself and fashion it to work as our existing splitter does, I'd use the main PTO on the PT425 for the supply. It's got the most GPM.

The AUX PTO/FEL/Steering/QA circuit has about half of that, as I recall (but cannot verify for sure). Plus, I'd have to figure a way to keep the AUX PTO lever activated up or down.

I would not want to plumb into the FEL's dump/curl circuit and use the joystick to operate the splitter. For one thing, it's too far of a reach to use one hand on the joystick and the other to keep a log in position.

/ Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT? #5  
You've also got 18GPM @ 3200PSI to contend with. Check the specs on some of the cylinders and valves you are considering and investigate relief valves.

/ Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT? #6  
I use both of my pt's to operate my log splitter . I use the main hydraulic to power the splitter, I had to get different hoses as the 1845 has larger hydraulic fittings for the main hydraulics. If I have real big logs I use the 422 with the mini hoe with thumb to lift the logs onto the splitter and hook the 1845 up to the splitter .Either one runs it well and I have never run into a log it will not split. I just run the tractors at a fast idle, will post pictures of my setup in the next couple of days. Several years ago I did post some pictures of it hooked up to my 422. I did not make it myself, I purchased the splitter without a motor. I removed the hydraulic tank that was on it and used hydraulic hoses directly to the power trac pto fittings. If I were to wish for something different I would have it setup to use either horizontal or vertical.

/ Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT? #7  
Thanks ernemats! :thumbsup:

/ Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT? #8  
A few questions...

Did you make it yourself (Pictures please)

What remote do you use to power it (Dump/Tilt or PTO)

What would you do different?

I took an old 3pt splitter, flipped it upside down and had a quick disconnect plate welded on. Got longer hoses and mounted the splitter valve to the loader arm where I can reach it. I can lay the splitter on about any size log rather than trying to wrestle it onto the splitter. If I build another, I think I’ll try mounting it sideways so I could see better what I’m doing.

/ Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT? #9  
I took an old 3pt splitter, flipped it upside down and had a quick disconnect plate welded on. Got longer hoses and mounted the splitter valve to the loader arm where I can reach it. I can lay the splitter on about any size log rather than trying to wrestle it onto the splitter. If I build another, I think I’ll try mounting it sideways so I could see better what I’m doing.

Would you have pictures of the upside down splitter on the FEL quick dis-connect plate ? I would like to see that. I have some monsters to split. Thanks in advance.

/ Who's got a log splitter that they run off the PT? #10  
I bought a 2nd hand vertical /horizontal county line splitter. The extensive modifications included swapping the m/f quick couplers and plugging it in. It runs a bit slow but fast enough. Same flow I have at lowest smooth idle on the 1850...