Who's Got the Most Acreage?

/ Who's Got the Most Acreage? #21  
Re: Who\'s Got the Most Acreage?

Joe,
You are sure right about water rights!!! It gets worse every year as the population continues to grow in the west. Even with the water rights it's tough in some of the areas. Down at the place on the snake river by Oreanna Idaho Power Company charges us 30k just to turn the pumps on for the irrigation system. All the water there has to be pumped from the river for irrigation. That is one thing I like about the midwest is that you don't have to irrigate everything.

Back in the early 70's my grandpa and uncle started buying up all the land on Antelope Range. Everyone thought they were crazy as there was no water up there and you could only run a cow/calf pair on about 50 acres or better. Well they had a plan. They bought about 30,000 acres up there for little of nothing, I think it equaled out to about $100 an acre. They had studied the land and done surveys on some of the flat ground at the base of the mountains and figured they could build a dam and reservoir and irrigate that ground around there. Sure enough they were right and they spent the next 10 years building the dam and reservoir. That land is worth alot now, not to mention they created a huge reservoir and stocked it with trout which they sell fishing rights to.

Those two did alot of those deals. There were seven brothers and one sister and they all got into ranching out there. All of them did really well but my grandpa and great uncle did the best.

/ Who's Got the Most Acreage? #22  

Good to hear about a Family that prospers through cooperation over the long pull. By [censored] they must have dammed the run-off with a damned stout dam.Well-damned-done-dam!

/ Who's Got the Most Acreage? #23  

When I lived out in New Mexico in the mid 80's, a friend of ours had a relative that owned two ranches of 128,000 acres. They could barely keep the ranches afloat due to the amount of land needed per head of cattle. I think they tried to limit their acres/head count to a 100 acres per head.

It is hard to imagine that much land. However, when you begin to understand what is needed to support the herd, it makes a lot of sense.

Terry

/ Who's Got the Most Acreage? #24  

That's why I fight the urge to buy an ATV as it would just get me to one end of my 40 quicker and seem like my place is smaller

/ Who's Got the Most Acreage? #25  

You're exactly right Terry. It seems like alot of ground but it really isn't. Here's some more pics.

Attachments

• 6-141274-ranch.jpg
    6-141274-ranch.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 73
   / Who's Got the Most Acreage? #26  

few more

Attachments

• 6-141280-ranch1.jpg
    6-141280-ranch1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 63