Whose Boxe Blade to get & What Size?

/ Whose Boxe Blade to get & What Size? #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
I will be needing a box blade for a bunch of different tasks: clearing area to build stone base for driveway & pad, excavating moving spoils away for a house addition, etc.

First of all, I'm not sure which size. My tractor is a Kubota B9200. It's a compact tractor & weights about 1700 lbs. The outside dimension from one rear wheel to the other is 55". The tires are pretty good size 12.4-16. So at the very least I would think that I want a 60 inch blade. But, would I be better off w/ a 66" or 72", or would these just be too big for my tractor?

Next, I'm not sure on which brand. Tractor supply has the CountyLine 5' for $579. Everything Attachments has the United brand for $499 & King Kutter for $714. Shipping is free for Everything Attachments & I would not have to pay tax. The King Kutter looks beefier, but it does cost more.

Thanks!

/ Whose Boxe Blade to get & What Size? #2  
You need to be able to cover your wheel base so I guess you need a 5 foot blade. I dont think I have ever seen one in anything other than even foot sizes but they may make one. You can pick up some good buys on box blades on craigslist. I just saw one on Houston Craigslist (Gannon 6 foot with manual or hydraulic retractable scarifiers for $575. This is the premier brand of box blade. Although this one is much larger than you would need, I just sited an example of what can be found. There isnt much to wear out on one and most of the SCUT / CUT ones havent seen a lot of action. With a 5 foot blade, you wont be able to pull much dirt at one time before you run out of traction. I have a 6 foot on my 7000 pound 72 HP tractor and it will stop it in its tracks if I hit a root, large rock sometimes even hard soil if I have the scarifies socked down as far as they will go.

/ Whose Boxe Blade to get & What Size? #3  
I agree with Gary, you need to cover the tracks, so 5' would be the size to get.

With only 22 HP, you don't need, or really want a super heavy box blade. I would expect the county line would serve general use needs. I've got a BX22, 22hp, and it is about 1800 lbs, and when my 4' blade gets a good bite I spin the tires. Your tires should give you a bit more traction, but with 25% more blade width, its going to be net-net fairly similar.

I really think a 72 is probably too much for your machine.

/ Whose Boxe Blade to get & What Size? #4  
You need to be able to cover your wheel base so I guess you need a 5 foot blade. I dont think I have ever seen one in anything other than even foot sizes but they may make one.

I have a Bushhog SBX65 (65'') , I really like it , well built and heavy .

/ Whose Boxe Blade to get & What Size? #5  
I agree with Gary, you need to cover the tracks, so 5' would be the size to get.

With only 22 HP, you don't need, or really want a super heavy box blade. I would expect the county line would serve general use needs. I've got a BX22, 22hp, and it is about 1800 lbs, and when my 4' blade gets a good bite I spin the tires. Your tires should give you a bit more traction, but with 25% more blade width, its going to be net-net fairly similar.

I really think a 72 is probably too much for your machine.

I agree that with a small machine, you need to get a smaller box. They do make 1/2 foot increment boxes, but only in the higher end units. You may not be totally pleased with the boxes that you can pull. You're probably looking at a 5' box in the 350-400 pound range as being about all you
handle unless you have dry fluffy soil.

That 6' Gannon box with hydro scar bar for $575 is a total deal. It's probably a 3500-4000 new.

/ Whose Boxe Blade to get & What Size? #6  
A good box blade has the hinged rear blade. The hinged blade allows it to dig going either direction. You won't find one at TSC, and it will cost more than the TSC model.

/ Whose Boxe Blade to get & What Size? #7  
A good box blade has the hinged rear blade. The hinged blade allows it to dig going either direction. You won't find one at TSC, and it will cost more than the TSC model.

True, but he only has a 1800 pound tractor with 22is hp. Most swinging tail boxes will be too heavy for his machine.

If you do get a swinging rear blade box, get one that has the ability to also fix it in place. That's important for when you want to smooth on the final pass.

/ Whose Boxe Blade to get & What Size? #8  
Last spring, I bought a new 84" United Box Blade ($650) for my Ford 3000 gas. It works well on flat ground, but pulling uphill anything except loose material, I loose traction. A 72" would be a better fit for my machine, but it wouldn't extend past my rear tires.

I am happy with the quality of the box blade and recommend it for the price. I suggest a 60" model for your machine.

/ Whose Boxe Blade to get & What Size? #9  
True, but he only has a 1800 pound tractor with 22is hp. Most swinging tail boxes will be too heavy for his machine.
This is what I use on my 22 hp Ford 1510 with good results. It's from Tarter gate: 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Weight: 461 lbs.
The big differences are, I'm running anywhere between 500 (empty) to1200 lbs (w/FEL) more weight than the OP's tractor, which is a huge difference, I'll admit; but I'm also running on turfs, so that may make up for some of the weight discrepancy. So far, I've been able to handle it quite nicely with the rippers fully engaged. OTOH, I think we all forgot to ask what kind of tires are on the B9200. :confused: Tires vs. weight???
If you do get a swinging rear blade box, get one that has the ability to also fix it in place. That's important for when you want to smooth on the final pass.

Very true. Mine has the hinged back, but it doesn't have the ability to lock in place... yet! ;)

Joe