Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long)

/ Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long) #11  
npaden said:
The rod has a blemish and needs replaced.

Nathan

I fully understand the dealer issue, but for this part, why didn't you just take it to the local hydraulic shop for repair/replacement??

/ Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long) #12  
Kendall69 said:
I run my business today on that model, and I've kept the competition away from my area for 25 years, and have watched a dozen companies come in to compete and all have gone bust.

If I can make a buck I'll do it PERIOD, I'll match prices all day long, I may not gain a lot of money on these orders, what I gain is loyal customers, and I ALWAYS make it back in the long run, and I do mean ALWAYS!

That's great Kendall. There are some people out there who do get it, and they will be the one's still in business 10, 20, 30 years from now. My dealer is mixed - he does pretty good on prices compared to internet stuff, but is not always lightening fast. I shop around and find the best deal I can, sometimes that's on the net, sometimes that's at the dealer. I always try to buy local, but if the local guy doesn't earn my business, he doesn't deserve it. Just because a business has internet sales doesn't make them evil. Just makes them smart and willing to do extra work to get your business. They are local to someone. :)

/ Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long)
tlbuser said:
I fully understand the dealer issue, but for this part, why didn't you just take it to the local hydraulic shop for repair/replacement??

My understanding was that it would cost around $100 - $150 to rechrome the rod. At some point in it's life the rod has been welded on so to replace the seals on one end it would require it to be cut and rewelded and then machined back smooth. (Originally the end of the rod was threaded and the end screwed on but for some reason it is now welded).

Also there had been some machine work (poorly done machine work) on the area where the pitman arm connects to the cylinder. When I was estimating the cost that it would take to rework the rod and housing I figured I would be spending $200 - $250 and it would be worth the extra $ to just get a completely new cylinder.

Maybe I was estimating too much for the machine work.

/ Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long) #14  
A local dealer near me wants $9.80 for a Cat 1 lower link pin. Not the pair, but each pin. TSC wants $2.50 each. Hmm, I used to buy from local businesses all the time and used to buy American all the time, but not any more. My budget is much tighter now and I can't afford to support local businesses at the sacrifice of my family.

/ Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long) #15  
Im willing to pay about 10% perhaps as much as 15% (if its a relitivly inexpesnive part) preimum at a local place (hardware store, dealer etc) to have it in my hand NOW vs ordering over the internet/phone and having the extra hassel andor wait.

Ive also found that some dealer isnt intrested in you because you didnt buy a $250,000 tractor from him this year, vs some other dealer that relises he can do a lot more buisness in smaller $20-$50 stuff if he caters to us "little" guys.

/ Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long) #16  
npaden said:
My understanding was that it would cost around $100 - $150 to rechrome the rod. At some point in it's life the rod has been welded on so to replace the seals on one end it would require it to be cut and rewelded and then machined back smooth. (Originally the end of the rod was threaded and the end screwed on but for some reason it is now welded).

Also there had been some machine work (poorly done machine work) on the area where the pitman arm connects to the cylinder. When I was estimating the cost that it would take to rework the rod and housing I figured I would be spending $200 - $250 and it would be worth the extra $ to just get a completely new cylinder.

Maybe I was estimating too much for the machine work.

Next time check these guys out.

Chrome Rod

For the cost of the rechrome, you could have had a new rod.

If you ask about your problems first, there may be a cheaper solution here....

jb

/ Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long) #17  
Didn't know about that place, thanks for the link. My favorite repair place stocks rod, tubes, etc. and can weld, turn whatever with a very short turn-around time. Whatever they can't fix, there's a fantastic machine shop a little bit further up the road.......Unfortunately, neither one is the most convenient place :( For the gotta have it days, I have to swallow hard and pay extra for the convenience factor (guy closest to me).

/ Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long)
Well, the part is ALREADY HERE!! Ordered it yesterday and it is here today with just standard UPS ground shipping.

I still feel pretty good about getting the entire new assembly because the existing cylinder was pretty worn out. Next time I'll double check about repairing the part before ordering a new one. If anyone wants a worn out steering cylinder for a Kubota L4200 I'll sell the one I've got cheap! ;)

/ Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long) #19  
Thanks for the parts sources.

I usually go to the dealer for normal parts, and they're very close by. However, for implements, I've gone elsewhere. I bought some disc hillers from AgriSupply and recently bought a tine dethatcher from AgriFab for $100 that the dealer wanted $240 for (the dealer's was more robust, but I wasn't sure how well it would work for what I wanted; better to try the lower cost one). The AgriSupply disc hillers worked fine.

Like you, for more expensive parts I'd look elsewhere.

Ralph

/ Why Buy Parts from Local Dealer? (Long) #20  
I purchased a used Polaris ATV several years ago. Nearest dealer to me was 5 minutes from my workplace. When I first started going there they also sold New Hollands and Kubotas. Didn't take long for me to notice that their prices were high on just about everything that I compared prices on. And on top of that they weren't very helpful or friendly. Next thing I know they were no longer a Polaris dealer.

Next came the TN65 New Holland, also used. Well, I started buying oils, filters, etc from them. I eventually got the FEL bug. When I called to talk to a salesman the first thing he asked was where I bought the tractor. When I told him I had purchased it used from an individual on the other side of town he all the sudden didn't have time to talk to me. He took my number and said he'd call back but he never did. I eventually called him and got a price that was a full $1,000 more than I had been quoted elsewhere. Needless to say I didn't purchase my FEL from them.

I went by the place a few months later and all the New Hollands were gone. Got my curiosity up so bad that I just had to stop. Seems that New Holland yanked their franchise or whatever it's called due to low sales volume. I just don't see how it can end any other way for these yahoos if their prices are higher than local competition and their staff acts like you (the customer) are barely worth the time of day.