Why By a Motorhome or RV?

/ Why By a Motorhome or RV? #61  
I bought one because my wife has RA and traveling by car or plane is really bad on her.

I kept it 'cause traveling by car or plane with grandchildren is really bad on me! :)

/ Why By a Motorhome or RV? #62  
When it got to the point where retirement was 2-3 years in the future, we bought a Class C motorhome to go look for retirement property. We lived in the SF Bay area and staying put for retirement would mean living in an overpriced house forever.

We took our dogs, kept travel clothes packed in the RV and were able to stay for a few days at a number of places to look for retirement property. We towed a small SUV behind the MH and got a much better feel for many areas than we could have done with motels and a car. We could cook in the MH, had a bathroom, and could leave the dogs in the MH.

Best of all, we could leave after work drive until we got tired and pull into a WalMart to sleep so we could get to our destination early.

When we found the land we now live on, the MH became our cabin and the headquarters for the house building project.

I count it as being well worth the amount it cost.

Now I have different requirements. We sold the MH and I bought my "Redneck Hunting Lodge" which is a 27 foot toy hauler, camper. I don't carry "toys" in it, but I take it to deer camp for two weeks, and then to elk camp for another week every year. Beats the heck out of a tent in the snow and rain. Sleeps 4 easily, and 5 in a pinch. Sometimes a week or two in the summer, but mostly hunting.

This was a fine investment.

/ Why By a Motorhome or RV? #63  
My dad and step-mom drove around the country in an Itasca motor home for almost 8 years before his eyesight (around the time he finished spending my inheritance) got too bad and they beached the thing in Florida and moved into an apartment. I used to visit them and slept on the convertible sofa and have to say it was a lot more comfortable then the sofa bed they ended up with in the apartment (why do they put the **** bar in the middle!). They loved the RV lifestyle and visiting all the sights around the country (I have all their photos to prove it). I have to say noise was never an issue when we parked at night even with close neighbors and people were always nice.

Since we have two houses, one in the city and the farm, our vacations are always going up to the country house (pets in tow) and working on the place, so no need for an RV. Just happy to be some place where you can see the stars at night.