why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission?

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #1  

Unregistered2013

Gold Member
i love my rtv, no question -- but the shifting leaves something to be desired -- :|

when i hop on over to my b2400, i LOVE LOVE the foot-pedal backwards and forwards, in the front and back, and i love how easy it is to get around with the thing --

so my question is, why didn't kubota just copy that when making the rtvs?

it puzzles me -- :confused:

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #2  
I'm no expert, but it is my impression that the RTVs have HST transmissions. I guess it boils down to different strokes for different folks. After 3 years of use, I got rid of a L5030HSTC only because I absolutely can't stand Kubota's rocker pedal on their hydro tractors. My opinion is that their rocker pedal is the most uncomfortable way to operate a tractor I've ever used. Combine that with the fact that I had to drive it with the cruise control lever to keep it from jerking when hitting bumps in my yard and it resulted in me leaving Kubota. If they used that rocker pedal in their RTV guys like me would never even consider buying one. It's my strong opinion that dual pedals on a hydro tractor is the only way to go if you want a hydro. As I said, different strokes for different folks.

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #3  
Its funny about the rockers eh Dargo, I find mine to be the best setup ever. I almost never have used the cruise control in the 500 or so hours I've put on it.

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #4  
I agree it sure makes since to push the pedal forward to go forward and backward to go backward. Pushing left to go forward and right pedal to go backward don't make since to me. I sure would hate to try and fly a helicopter if I moved the stick left to go forward and right to go backward. Although the old Hillers were almost that way.

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #5  
As I said, different strokes for different folks.

And I sure don't miss that Kubota with the rocker pedal. I'll definitely never own another after having used both. I guess you can compare it to a gear vs hydro battle between guys.

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #6  
i love my rtv, no question -- but the shifting leaves something to be desired -- :|

when i hop on over to my b2400, i LOVE LOVE the foot-pedal backwards and forwards, in the front and back, and i love how easy it is to get around with the thing --

so my question is, why didn't kubota just copy that when making the rtvs?

it puzzles me --
:confused:

WWWWEEEEEELLLLLLLLL perhaps it is because they did not contact you before making the darn things. Silly them, they did not realize undiscovered expertise in ergonomics engineering.

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission?
the shifting in the rtv 900 is the achilles heal in the thing --

-- it's downright embarrassing, and bordering on unsafe.

i am disappointed in it -- load or no load, etc., it often gives me a hard time.

nobody would accept a car that shifted that poorly, and at the price of a car, it's unacceptable.

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #8  
Eric:

I'm with you 100%. We have about 100 hours on our RTV, and I ask the same question, why am I always struggling to shift from forward to reverse??? My HST tractor has peddles, and it works great! It will shift ok if it is not under any load, but frankly, it is not ready for prime time, and the pull knob to relieve the hydro pressure is a bandaid at best.

And.. On my tractor I can stall the engine if I push the HST hard enough. Never come close on the RTV 900. And yes, I have the super oil in it. And yes, I did put a hand throttle in it.

Wayne

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #9  
Gee, I haven't found the shifting to be so difficult in the
RTV. Oh, occasionally I have to pull the release knob, but it's not a BIG deal.

I can see the rocker peddle on a vehicle where you are doing a lot of forward/backward movement like a loader or a skid steer, but the RTV isn't that type of vehicle.

Ken

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #10  
I would guess the VHT would be the problem, how do you make that work in both directions? The VHT gives you more starting power and also a wider dynamic range of speed for the Hydro so you only have three gears to get up to 25MPH but more starting torque.

David Kb7uns