why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission?

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #11  
I would guess the VHT would be the problem, how do you make that work in both directions? The VHT gives you more starting power and also a wider dynamic range of speed for the Hydro so you only have three gears to get up to 25MPH but more starting torque.

David Kb7uns

Yep. Plus, you have a 1 pump & 2 motors configuration with the VHT vs. 1 pump & 1 motor with a standard/simpler HST. Also, with the RTV in neutral, a simple blip of the throttle will help shifting.

How the VHT works

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #12  
I would guess the VHT would be the problem, how do you make that work in both directions? The VHT gives you more starting power and also a wider dynamic range of speed for the Hydro so you only have three gears to get up to 25MPH but more starting torque.

David Kb7uns

I saw that you have the high mount air intake on your RTV1100. Does it buzz and rattle like crazy? From about half throttle on I get a horrendous buzzing rattle against the back of the cab with mine. It seems to be where the plastic part of the intake is flattened to allow clearance when the bed is raised and lowered. If I didn't firmly believe that the high mounted air intake provides much cleaner air to the machine I'd toss it in an instant.

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #13  
I saw that you have the high mount air intake on your RTV1100. Does it buzz and rattle like crazy? From about half throttle on I get a horrendous buzzing rattle against the back of the cab with mine. It seems to be where the plastic part of the intake is flattened to allow clearance when the bed is raised and lowered. If I didn't firmly believe that the high mounted air intake provides much cleaner air to the machine I'd toss it in an instant.

Have not had any problems or noise from the intake kit. Only problem I have had is windshield/roof leaking at the front.

David Kb7uns

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #14  
Have not had any problems or noise from the intake kit. Only problem I have had is windshield/roof leaking at the front.

David Kb7uns

I like the HST on my BX...Wish the HVT on the RTV500 acted the same way. In reverse the RTV has perfect balance of power and never boggs down...Forward, in high range, that's another issue...Releasing the pedal for more power makes no sense...

Low range works fine, and I'm really happy with the amount of power generated. It plows snow like crazy and climbs like a goat in that range. If you want to go out and play a little in high..Forget it.

For a gas engine, it seems to operate at a really low max RPM..Tranny pump pressure balance, maybe.

Might just be me. My only real complaint with this machine (besides the idle rattle).

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #15  
My only real complaint with this machine (besides the idle rattle).
Seems like I saw Kubota came out with a revised clamping driveshaft joint to fix the rattle. It's for the 900 but my new 500 doesnt rattle at all.

from http://www.********************.com/articles/RTV900-Tech-Info.aspx
Problem:
4WD Shaft Rattles
Solution:
We have had some reports of the 4WD shaft rattling on the RTV900s. Usually, the u-joint assembly at the transmission end was too loose. Tolerance improvements have been made to this part. Therefore, if you find the front drive shafts rattling due to a loose u-joint, please replace the u-joint assembly (K7561-16820)

Update: Kubota has released a formal fix for this problem. A new clamping universal joint is available that can be replaced under normal warrenty. There will be a production line change for new units. A new universal joint kit can be ordered under part number K7561-91700.

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #16  
I would think speed would be a factor. stopping a hst tranny at 30mph might be a nose in the winshield. If they could incorporate the throttle with the hst, or have an accelerator and a hand hst so you could move the lever a bit and use the throttle I could get along with that. Having the engine at full idle all the time would scare the bejesus out of me in tight areas.

/ why didn't they make the rtv with a true HST transmission? #17  
I would think speed would be a factor. stopping a hst tranny at 30mph might be a nose in the winshield. If they could incorporate the throttle with the hst, or have an accelerator and a hand hst so you could move the lever a bit and use the throttle I could get along with that. Having the engine at full idle all the time would scare the bejesus out of me in tight areas.

Agreed...Just seems that it runs out of RPM too fast. Low range is fine, but high, that's another issue. Should keep revving up with the gas mashed, that's my problem. 25MPH is plenty fast enough, just wish it would do that all the time, up hill and all.