Why do dealerships require you to make an appointment for everything now?

/ Why do dealerships require you to make an appointment for everything now? #21  
How about make an appointment for your very first (5000 mile) oil change. Wait two hours past appointment, drive less than 1/4 mile and engine quits. Yep, they forgot to put oil back in. Then have to wait over two months for them to get all of the parts to build another engine. Thanks Toyota of Waldorf.

No oil pressure warning light?

/ Why do dealerships require you to make an appointment for everything now? #22  
How about a 7:30 appointment for oil change and a few other issues at the dealer and noon rolls around and your car is still on the lift?
When U check things out you learn that they can't get the oil to stay in the engine because the specified filters don't fit properly.
Then you have to wait while they have lunch but are miles from a restaurant.
Then I popped my trunk, took out a tube of yellow paint and artist brush and painted a nice lemon on the trunk lid.*
Now that got action as the district manager for the brand paged me within the half hour.
There were other issues as well, some safety** related and a few cosmetic.

*I was an art supply rep at that time.
**Due to a weird alignment configuration when changing lanes to pass the car would leap sharply to the left almost yanking the steering wheel from my hands. It had more camber on right than left and that was actually in the specs as that car had a police package.

/ Why do dealerships require you to make an appointment for everything now? #23  
No oil pressure warning light?

Yep, it came on after the engine stalled. The check engine light popped on just before it stalled. When I say less than a 1/4 mile, the dealership is on a corner. Made a left out of the parking lot, then another left on to 301 southbound. The check engine light came on as the truck rounded the corner. Pulled into the turn lane to go back to the dealership when it died. Walked ~200 feet back to the dealership. They insisted on a rental unit before the truck was towed back, but stayed and waited until the truck was brought in. Popped the hood and pulled the dipstick in front of the service manager. Turns out they are a "independent dealer" whatever that means, so the dealership nor Toyota were any real help. Nomore Toyota in my future.

/ Why do dealerships require you to make an appointment for everything now? #24  
Almost never go to a dealership for maintenance, if I did, I'd rather have an appointment.

/ Why do dealerships require you to make an appointment for everything now? #25  
I have only bought one new vehicle for myself.

At the time I bought it the Dealer was touting their express lane oil service at 59 minutes or less.

I do all my own work but the maintenance was included with the BMW for 4 years so why not?

Boy have things changed... found I needed to make a trip from Oakland to Olympia and was due for a change and stopped by the Dealership... learned it would be 7 days before they could fit me in for an oil change and appointment required and figure hours... but they do have a shuttle to the mall and Bart station which does me no good.

24 bays plus lube service and cars on all of them... asked what was going on and learned they are booked solid for recalls... like the airbag recall...

Which they still do not have for my car and it will be a year soon.

Anyway, 7 days to book an oil change from the Dealer I bought my car... just crazy... have not been back since...

Thats why you got 4 years of oil changes free. !!!They knew you would not be able to get them and get frustrated and pay elseware

/ Why do dealerships require you to make an appointment for everything now? #26  
Once walked into a bank with fair amount of cash wanting to open an account.
They turned me back because I did not have an appointment.
Needless to say I do not have an account at that institution.

Now phoning a bank (and any gov't ) is another issue as they are told not to answer the phone, let all calls go to recorder and call back at their convenience (not clients).
That means you have to sit around waiting for them to call back.
When I get a recorded message my recording is 'When responding to my call let me know when to return this call as I don't have time to sit around waiting for you"