Why do some squash rot on vine?

/ Why do some squash rot on vine? #1  

Fuddyduddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
john deere
We planted squash in large containers and they're doing well except we'll see some fall off the vine, usually 2"-3" and starting to rot. Some we pull off vine if it's turning brown.
First picture is example of healthy plant, second is good squash ready to pick in a few days, third is same container but rotten example.
What causes that?
Thanks.
20230704_183546.jpg
20230704_183633.jpg
20230704_183618.jpg

/ Why do some squash rot on vine? #2  
We planted squash in large containers and they're doing well except we'll see some fall off the vine, usually 2"-3" and starting to rot. Some we pull off vine if it's turning brown.
First picture is example of healthy plant, second is good squash ready to pick in a few days, third is same container but rotten example.
What causes that?
Thanks.View attachment 809460View attachment 809461View attachment 809462
Sounds like blossom end rot. It affects tomatoes also and is caused by a calcium deficiency.

You can try a foliar spray. Next time, add calcium to your soil. Gypsum, got any old sheetrock?

/ Why do some squash rot on vine?
Thanks! I'll try it.

/ Why do some squash rot on vine? #4  
I don't generally grow summer squash/zucchini because (1) it's way too prolific and (2) doesn't store well but I haven't had very good luck growing winter squash (acorn, butternut, hubbard, etc.) in containers. They seem to need a lot of "leg room" and get potbound after a certain point and any squash produced tend to wither.

Don't know where you live, so climate may be a contributor as well.

/ Why do some squash rot on vine?
I don't generally grow summer squash/zucchini because (1) it's way too prolific and (2) doesn't store well but I haven't had very good luck growing winter squash (acorn, butternut, hubbard, etc.) in containers. They seem to need a lot of "leg room" and get potbound after a certain point and any squash produced tend to wither.

Don't know where you live, so climate may be a contributor as well.
S.Central Va

/ Why do some squash rot on vine? #7  
When planting squash I put dried crushed egg shell and put it in the hole for a source of calcium. You can also put it around the squash plant as well and it also keeps the slugs off the plant because they will not go over it it cuts them.

/ Why do some squash rot on vine? #8  
I have never tried it before

/ Why do some squash rot on vine? #9  
Squash bugs. I use Sevin and spray the plant when I see the effects on either the foliage or fruit. They suck the juice out of the plant and fruit. Usually 2 applications are all that’s needed to wipe out the population.

/ Why do some squash rot on vine? #10  
OP - from the last picture, I say that squash was not fertilized (by bees) and is just rotting. It happens to some of mine every year even though I have hives of bees 100 feet from the garden.