Why do you mount your tractor and your horse only the left side?

/ Why do you mount your tractor and your horse only the left side? #41  
Just did a google search (slow day) and found only one out of 100 agreed with me.

Every article refers to the sword, so I guess it does have to do with being right handed, it means right handed swordsmen carry on the left, thus facilitating mounting a horse from the left.

One hit referred to the time before stirrups when you would grab the mane with both hands and hop and throw your leg over. Yes you would be hopping on your weaker leg, but I'm thinking you would have more umph throwing your strong leg over.

I'm still not 100% convinced, just stubborn I guess.

Here's the one hit on the entire WWW that I could find that bolsters my opinion.

Why are horses always mounted on the left? - Yahoo! Answers

JB.

/ Why do you mount your tractor and your horse only the left side? #42  
i may be the minority,, but when I put my left foot int he stirrup, and grab the horn with my right hand, and the front of the saddle with the left and hoist myself over.. there is no 'jumping' or pushing off action that might startle the old nag I'm mounting. I do a smooth lift and swing.. left leg / knee does 90% of it.. right armm does 10 % with lil movement.. and left is pretty much a stabilizer.. right leg is there for the ride looking for the stirrup on the other side..

soundguy

But when your left foot is in the stirrup, all your weight is on your right leg.
Don't you need to push off with that one at the same time as lifting with the left and pulling with one hand? That first push off to get the momentum going comes from the right doesn't it?

I still think it has to do with most people being right handed, the sword does make sense too, but not every horseman carried a sword.

But again I'm no horseman so maybe I should of stayed out of this one :eek:

JB

/ Why do you mount your tractor and your horse only the left side? #43  
i may be the minority,, but when I put my left foot int he stirrup, and grab the horn with my right hand, and the front of the saddle with the left and hoist myself over.. there is no 'jumping' or pushing off action that might startle the old nag I'm mounting. I do a smooth lift and swing.. left leg / knee does 90% of it.. right armm does 10 % with lil movement.. and left is pretty much a stabilizer.. right leg is there for the ride looking for the stirrup on the other side..

soundguy

I don't hop around either when I mount. The left leg/arm do most of the work. Being left-handed does have its advantages;)

/ Why do you mount your tractor and your horse only the left side? #44  

soundguy

Same here Soundguy! Had a horse for 14 years. Once I had my left foot in the stirrup, there was no way for me to bend that right knee enough to give myself a push that would've swing me on the horse, ''without hurting myself that is, never could do the split''. :confused2:

/ Why do you mount your tractor and your horse only the left side?
Grandson Grant wanted to mount with sword. Too big a tractor and too big a sword but he tried. Definate a left side operation with a sword.

Attachments

• Oct 27, 2011 007.jpg
    Oct 27, 2011 007.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 128
   / Why do you mount your tractor and your horse only the left side? #46  
we no longer ride him.. just feed him sweet feed and alfalfa pellets and let him pull grass and eat hay and walk the turnout..

soundguy

I've liked you since I met you. Now I know I was right to do that.

Bless you. Great story, thanks for sharing.

David

/ Why do you mount your tractor and your horse only the left side? #47  
I put out some new hay today ( recent cutting, not from the stocks I had earlier in the year ).. and he was on it like it was popcorn.

I toted the last few bales of the last seasons stuff over to the cow pasture.. they don't mind.

soundguy