Why does Oil color change?

/ Why does Oil color change? #11  
depends on the oil. I have seen JD oil turn black after 1 hour and Amsoil stays clean way over that...That is my experience using many oils...Most times color means nothing unless you are superman and can use your eyes to do an UOA...While oil is not included...

For a cheaper test you can use a blotter test but outside of that, do not base oil changes on color.

/ Why does Oil color change? #12  
yep.. soot and oxidation. moisture content plays a role as well.. especially in hyd oils.

soundguy

/ Why does Oil color change? #13  
yup, and so does filteration, add package, addatives.....Again color does not mean much.

/ Why does Oil color change? #14  
I have 30 hours on my 50 hour oil change and my oil is just barely getting any color to it yet

/ Why does Oil color change? #15  
yup, and so does filteration, add package, addatives.....Again color does not mean much.

but it does mean something.

I know some guys that are new to diesels.. they see the honey colored oil going in at first oil change and freak out about the black oil that poured out, and freak out further when they check their oil and a few hours after change it's black again.. most don't understand that diesels soot their oil pretty fast.. and faster the older they are usually.

soundguy

/ Why does Oil color change? #16  
but it does mean something.

I know some guys that are new to diesels.. they see the honey colored oil going in at first oil change and freak out about the black oil that poured out, and freak out further when they check their oil and a few hours after change it's black again.. most don't understand that diesels soot their oil pretty fast.. and faster the older they are usually.

soundguy

There engines are dirty or there injectors or pumps are joke...

/ Why does Oil color change? #17  
yeah... your right. no diesels in decent running conditions ever soot their oil..

good advice. :~

soundguy