Why does the "Wild Thing" exist?

/ Why does the "Wild Thing" exist? #11  
MrJimi said:
I have a couple of friends that love those things and I was thinking about getting one :eek:
What would suggest for a low price homeowner say? I have an old yellow McCullough that wont start the second time and won't run any longer than 1 minute. I've been using my sawsall with a heavy wood blade but I don't have electric everywhere :)

Mr Jimi, Your post brought back a funny memory. In the 60's our town had a sporting goods store / motor repair shop that sold Homelite chainsaws. The owner always started his sales pitch by telling customers they should by a McCollough if they wanted a long lasting saw because they wouldn't stay running long enough to wear out ! I can hear him saying that now. Thanks for the memory. :D MikeD74T

/ Why does the "Wild Thing" exist? #12  
Funny, I have one, and have worked the heck out of it. It's just like all the Troy Built stuff at Lowes... if it breaks you trash it... so far my wild thing starts and runs well... do agree the chain is sometime a little bit of a issue it's the quick adjust ... if you use it, expect the chain to come off after a few minutes of cutting... I just max it and adjust the old way...pull until the chain is tight and then tighten the bar down.

/ Why does the "Wild Thing" exist? #13  
MrJimi,

Bought a Homelite 16" when I first bought our property. Didn't know any better, and bought a lot of stuff from the box stores back then. Since then, I've picked up a Husqvarna and a Stihl from our local guy that sells both. The Husky and the Stihl are 20" and 22" and I've beat the snot out of both. Great saws, but for the price they should be. The thing is the Homelite is still kicking and doing what it is meant to do well. I use it for limbing, spring clean up, etc. Light weight, starts on the first pull and except for a new chain on ocassion and regular maintenence, haven't had to do anything to it. Money well spent at $130.

/ Why does the "Wild Thing" exist? #14  
Sorry, forgot to mention the "Wild Thing" thing. When I was a kid many moons ago, I managed a ski shop in the mid-west. We used to carry a ski line called K2. I learned a very good marketing lesson early on through them. When they first came out they called their skis names like ' The Cheeseburger' and 'The large Fries'. The skis were so rotten they would delaminate and crack within days of getting them on the slopes, but because of the cute names they sold a ton of stock. K2 went on to become a market leader and one of the best known ski brands in the world, but in the beginning, marketing got them over the hump.

To this day, when I see ANY product with a cute name I get suspicious. Decals and marketing can take you a long way when your product is a pile a cr*p!

/ Why does the "Wild Thing" exist? #16  
i bought a "Wild Thing" 8 years ago for cheap and not expecting much, haven't had a lick of trouble with it (leaks oil but so what). For the price I would consider it a disposable saw, I just haven't had to dispose of it yet :rolleyes:

/ Why does the "Wild Thing" exist? #17  
Egon,

Like I said, this was back in the dark ages. '75-'76. Since then a lot of gold and world championships have been won on K2 boards. Was a Dynastar man, myself. Used to live on skis back in the day, closest thing to perfection was a good run on a black diamond anywhere in the Rockies! Haven't been on a pair since before snowboarding got big. Probably have to be air lifted off the mountain if I tried it now!

/ Why does the "Wild Thing" exist? #18  
I agree with a lot of what you say. I'm on my second Wild Thing in 10 years. The lastest one is 2 years old. I must admit that I've never had any real trouble with them and view them as "throw aways" although I did keep saw #1 for spares. I agree with you about the vibration. I find that if I'm using it all day them it's my elbows and forearms that hurt, not my hands or wrists.

A few years ago we lost a huge oak tree in the yard. A friend came out one week-end to help me cut it up and brought his Stihl. He must have outcut me at least 2 to one. When this current green and purple monster dies a death, that's what I'll probably replace it with.

By the way, I bought a 12" Efco from Northern Tool for pruning and limbing. I looked at the 12" Stihl but they wanted something like $700 for their Arborist saw. So far I've been impressed with the little thing.

/ Why does the "Wild Thing" exist? #19  
MFL:
What bugs me is that the skis and and bindings [Salomon800's] and Salomon racing boots are now obsolete!:confused: :confused: :confused:

I can remember the salesperson saying " For our older customers we recommend these" which ain't what I bought.:D

Then there were those midweek days when it was ski into the chair with no line ups! :D :D :D

/ Why does the "Wild Thing" exist?
EastTexFrank said:
I agree with a lot of what you say. I'm on my second Wild Thing in 10 years. The lastest one is 2 years old. I must admit that I've never had any real trouble with them and view them as "throw aways" although I did keep saw #1 for spares. I agree with you about the vibration. I find that if I'm using it all day them it's my elbows and forearms that hurt, not my hands or wrists.

A few years ago we lost a huge oak tree in the yard. A friend came out one week-end to help me cut it up and brought his Stihl. He must have outcut me at least 2 to one. When this current green and purple monster dies a death, that's what I'll probably replace it with.

By the way, I bought a 12" Efco from Northern Tool for pruning and limbing. I looked at the 12" Stihl but they wanted something like $700 for their Arborist saw. So far I've been impressed with the little thing.

Not $700, but the MS200T is almost at $600. They do have a MS192T that is a lot less money than the MS200T. I don't sell a lot of top handle saws and most buying them are making a living with them. It seems that once a tree climber uses the 200T, that's all they will buy!