Why doesn't my MX6 suck?

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck?
I had a similar experience 4520 vs 5525. I wonder if it a torque or rotating mass thing.

After today, I have to think that HAS to have something to do with it. I was really shocked (in a good way) at how well it was cutting behind the 5075.

My pastures are a little more dense on the grasses, so it will be interesting to see if I get the same results when I shred them sometime soon. I guess it's going to rain on us here in N/NE TX over the weekend? That likely means I'll need to cut again in a week or so.

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #52  
Let us know.

My 5525 in Epto cuts better than my 4520 full bore.

D.

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #53  
I had the same problem with my mx6. My top link adjuster got so hopelessly jammed I took it straight to the dealership and got them to fix it on the spot. Mine looks exactly like the pic that ddivinia posted, it was the top bolt that jammed. They took it out completely and let it float only the bottom one. They set it up with the tail wheel set in the second last hole, just touching the ground. Then they set the lift arms to be about 1/2" to 1" lower in the front part of the mower deck than the rear. Then they set the top link with about 2-1/2" of contouring action. Problem almost solved. I asked why it always leaves so much grass standing where the tires have been, it's supposed to have suction blades, but it always looked like crap. So here's the trick...mow clockwise only! and always overlap enough on the finished side to grab the trail of pushed down grass from the last pass that you just mowed. I argued that it was a waste of time and fuel to overlap that much, but they said to measure the distance between the tailwheel trails...yup, sure enough 6 feet. (overlap one foot to get a good finish, or mow the entire field twice?) Now it mows great!!! Try this part number: W45327 for the blades, they should suck up small farm yard animals. Also, I mow never faster than 2.5mph.

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #54  
I think the JD mowers are underrated for general field mowing/trimming. Not talking hogging here. They seem to do a nice job lifting the grass after it is flattened by the tires, then getting a clean cut. Nice rounded back and chain guards. I like mine.

Let us know.

My 5525 in Epto cuts better than my 4520 full bore.

D.

Will do. I suppose I will cut again in the next week or two after this rain we had over the weekend.

So here's the trick...mow clockwise only! and always overlap enough on the finished side to grab the trail of pushed down grass from the last pass that you just mowed. I argued that it was a waste of time and fuel to overlap that much, but they said to measure the distance between the tailwheel trails...yup, sure enough 6 feet. (overlap one foot to get a good finish, or mow the entire field twice?) Now it mows great!!! Try this part number: W45327 for the blades, they should suck up small farm yard animals. Also, I mow never faster than 2.5mph.

I have definitely noticed that mowing clockwise seems to work the best. But you never mow faster than 2.5mph? I think that, again, gives credit to ddivinia and I's theory that higher HP tractors run the MX6 better. Because I was cutting at 5.1mph most of the day last Friday and the MX6 was working better than it ever did for me before (I usually used to cut around 3mph).

Also, those are the blades I'm using. Got them from the dealer. :thumbsup:

I think the JD mowers are underrated for general field mowing/trimming. Not talking hogging here. They seem to do a nice job lifting the grass after it is flattened by the tires, then getting a clean cut. Nice rounded back and chain guards. I like mine.

I like mine a lot more now that it cuts efficiently behind my 5075E, ha!

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #56  
I have definitely noticed that mowing clockwise seems to work the best.

If the grass your tire knocked down on the previous round gets hit by the blade traveling backward, against the knocked down grass, it seems to cut better. On turns you don’t want it where the inside blade tip is slower relative to the ground on counterclockwise. You want faster tips relative to the ground on the turn.

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #57  
My newer mx6s mow better. I think they increased the tip speed. I have 2.5 of them. The 2002 model had the output shaft shear. The newer ones are noticeably better. The newest one Roth the 5 yr warranty gear box gets after it.

Of course I looked at a bushhog the other day. Their bheavy duty model makes the mx6 look like a toy. I have not seen a hx6 yet.

D.

Of course I looked at a bushhog the other day. Their bheavy duty model makes the mx6 look like a toy. I have not seen a hx6 yet.

D.

No kidding. I have looked at their 8' offerings before, and they seem a lot stronger than what I've seen from an MX8.

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #59  
No kidding. I have looked at their 8' offerings before, and they seem a lot stronger than what I've seen from an MX8.

I think Deere is mostly focused on grass cutting, pasture clean up, etc. due to their ag heritage. I would not buy or expect the Deere to compete
In the heavy cutter market. But with that comes the extra weight and cost of course. Well maybe not cost, the green paint costs a lot to apply.

/ Why doesn't my MX6 suck? #60  
Deerehas the CX and HX lines which are very heavy and rated for 4" brush. The MX's are considered their "medium duty" cutters