Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start?

/ Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start? #1  

Rameck

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 336D
I love this site and all the stories and information given but have one big complaint. After spending many days and hours on this site reading all the threads asking for help, a lot of people don't finish the thread with what they found wrong or if the problem got solved (at least in most of my searches). The thread just ends as if they fell off the edge of the world (the world is round isn't it?). So many people here try to help and if would be benefical to all, to see how the problem got resolved. We would all benefit from the end result even if it was mentioned they where unable to find a fix. It's got to the point now that I go to the last post to find out if the problem got solved before reading anymore of the thread, to avoid becoming fustrated. Again, I love this site, as I just bought a tractor to work on property that I bought and have got alot of very useful and helpful information from all the people here. Please let us know if you find an answer or not, even if it's months later.
We all love to read a book with the last chapter missing or see a movie with last five minutes missing.

Have a great day.
Ralph

/ Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start? #2  
Hey Ralph, the problem is that you have California listed as your location. The server software assumes you already have all the answers...

/ Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start? #3  
bjcsc said:
Hey Ralph, the problem is that you have California listed as your location. The server software assumes you already have all the answers...

Well he only half right:rolleyes: (oh never mind that was my wife speaking)...he does have another location. Funny, I did think the same thing too! So sometimes I send a private email to find out if it worked.

/ Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start? #4  
Rameck said:
I love this site and all the stories and information given but have one big complaint. After spending many days and hours on this site reading all the threads asking for help, a lot of people don't finish the thread with what they found wrong or if the problem got solved (at least in most of my searches). The thread just ends as if they fell off the edge of the world (the world is round isn't it?). So many people here try to help and if would be benefical to all, to see how the problem got resolved. We would all benefit from the end result even if it was mentioned they where unable to find a fix. It's got to the point now that I go to the last post to find out if the problem got solved before reading anymore of the thread, to avoid becoming fustrated. Again, I love this site, as I just bought a tractor to work on property that I bought and have got alot of very useful and helpful information from all the people here. Please let us know if you find an answer or not, even if it's months later.
We all love to read a book with the last chapter missing or see a movie with last five minutes missing.

Have a great day.
Ralph
Apparently the idea of closure is a joke.
larry

/ Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start? #5  
I always have 5 or 6 projects going at once and never finish anything. Why would you think it would be any different here on TBN?

That is a good point though, I'll try harder in the near future.

Oh, don't tell my wife..................she will make me finish that patio I started 3 years ago.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start? #6  
And most of mine are still under construction :D
I hope for the finish also

/ Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start? #7  
I think it goes to the reason the question was asked in the first place. I've noticed that allot of the questions on how to do something, or requests for help come from new people. They have a project to do or something they have breaks and they want advice on how to fix it. The do a search and come up with a dozen or so sites, including TBN. They ask the same question at every site and check back for answers. I'm guilty of this from time to time. When my diesel engine died in my dozer, I posted questions all over the place. What suprised me was how little help or real advice I got on the Diesel sites and the Cummins threads. They all love to talk about how great their engine is, but nobody was of any help to me at that time. Several guys here at TBN walked me through the process and thanks to them, I got it done.

I posted several times at those other sites, didn't get anything that I was looking for and lost interest in going there.

Another reason that there is no follow up, or completion to a thread is that it might not have been finished. I've seen allot of threads that post the finished job and they are very proud of what they have accomplished. I think the ones that never finish, or post anything more about what they were working on have stoped working on those things. The advice we give and receive here is almost overwhelming. It also gives us things to consider that we might not have thought about. Making something from scratch might sound like a great idea, but after posting questions about it, you realize that buying it brand new is actually cheaper. Clearing land or digging a pond sounds like allot of fun until you actually start to do it. Then you realize that hiring it out is not only easier, it's cheaper when you consider the damage that you cause to your tractor and yourself.

And the other reason that I've come across is that some people don't like being told their idea isn't the best way to do something. They take it personally that anybody else would consider offering an alternative suggestion to their plan. We've had plenty of heated and very oposing discusions here on different aproaches to accomplishing the same thing. I think it's good to get oposing views and suggestions that I never considered. Others don't and they disapear. We've had some very long time members with thousands of posts disapear for this reason. They tell somebody how to do something, then somebody else offers a different options and the long time poster gets offended. The thread dies and nothing is heard from it again.

I personally don't care as much about seeing the finished project as I do about reading all the suggestions and options. If a guy is building a barn or shed, it doesn't matter to me if he finishes it or not or what it looks like. What I like is to hear what everyone else has to offer towards building it, or what the original poster is doing and why he's doing it. The same is true for homes that are being built, driveways, ponds, pastures and attachements. The list goes on and on. If I get one tidbit of knowledge from a thread, it's priceless to me. In the years that I've been here, I've learned more from TBN then any other source by a very large margin.

Sorry for the long post, I sort of got on a roll. LOL

Eddie

/ Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start? #8  
Rameck, welcome to TBN... and, you are right re sometimes not getting "the rest of the story!" I've tried to put my final answers on my posts, but can't swear I always have. It 's a good idea.

Generally, I'm with what Eddie said:D Particularly about learning and quality of responses.

/ Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start? #9  
Eddie is dead on. As a complete noob, I have learned a ton from this site. I have been on forums and newsgroups since the dial-up BBS days and this is by far one of the best communities I have ever seen. While there have been some flame wars - they are relatively rare and, IMHO, fairly low key. I am curious about some projects being finished, but in most of those threads I have already gained the knowledge I needed (as Eddie said) and it is only my curiosity that gets left hanging - I can live with that.

Not bashing the OP, 'cause he has a point - and his post did seem like a light hearted, humorous jab.

I'm just waiting for the chance to be able to post something of my own that is useful to the group.....

/ Why Don't You Guys Finish What You Start? #10  
I will make my answer short and to the point, "what Eddie Walker said".