Why have a cab?

/ Why have a cab? #21  
hwp said:
Here's one reason why.
You blow snow... I mow it.

I have this to say about that... If you have ever spent hours on end in a cold rain, cold wind, or heat and humidity because the job HAD TO BE DONE, you can appeciate a cab with heat and air. I have the foul weather gear from when I lived on and cruised a sailboat with an open cockpit. I can get fairly comfortable in the extant conditions of Minot, ND at temps below fourty below zero. I have parkas and all. I have good rain gear and can do what I have to do in whatever weather but to choose the "man against the elements" approach out of some false sense of MACHO when my tractor was offered with heated and air conditioned cab would have been not so clever.

Also when spraying chemicals (mostly herbicides) I try to be careful but you can't keep little vagaries of wind from hapening and the first thing you know without a cab is you are in the chemical plume covered in spray. One of the reason ag workers have poor health stats is exposure to chemicals.

Then there is dust. It is hard to do much without making some dust. Breathing it is not good. Will you always wear a respirator? Not bloody likely! My cab has a fresh/recirc lever on the air. There are two filters that help keep out the dust. Not perfect but way better than being in the ambient air.

I can say this about my Kubota's heater. You have to modulate it carefully. Even at zero F if yoiu turn it up past 1/2 way it will bake you, even in a "T" shirt only. Terrific heater, must have been designed for the arctic or something. I guess northern Japan gets cold.

Pat ;) ;)

Attachments

• TractorInSnow.jpg
    TractorInSnow.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 273
   / Why have a cab? #22  
Why a cab?

Minus 13 below (minus 33 below windchill) here outside of Minneapolis, MN with the driveway drifting in.

OrangeGuy

/ Why have a cab? #23  
It seems there is generally one incident that drives us old tractor guys to the cab. For me it was a cold, raw, late fall rainstorm. I was smack dab in the middle of a multi acre youth soccer complex, core aerating. I lost my cell phone, headphones and lots of stuff in my wallet. Ordered a curtis cab for my machine the next morning!

/ Why have a cab? #24  
Sully2 said:
I "inject" myself with Jack Daniels!!!!:D
It would be WAY more fun to inject JD. That eppi- pen injection causes an hour case of the shakes, you have to see to believe!

/ Why have a cab? #25  
When I bought my cab tractor I didn't think much about the spraying aspect, but as Patrick mentions the chemicals can be nasty. I searched for months trying to find a used 3 pt hitch sprayer that had electrical controls to mount in the cab. I finally have one that I can control all the sprayer booms electrically without leaving the cab and also without inhaling the spray.
The bee problem was also an issue with me, in a typical year I normally blow apart five or six big hornet nests while brush hogging.

/ Why have a cab? #26  
OrangeGuy said:
Why a cab?

Minus 13 below (minus 33 below windchill) here outside of Minneapolis, MN with the driveway drifting in.

OrangeGuy

What is bad is driving a cab tractor plowing or moving hay in the summer with it 110F in the shade....and the tractor's AC is broke. It is too dusty to work with the windows and doors open.... but with the doors closed it is an easy 130F inside. Spend 6 hours doing that and you will sweat about 5lbs of weight off.

...Then again, spending 10hrs brush hogging with a 200hp tractor in a big ac cooled cab listening to the satellite radio on the stereo, cutting up everything you can run over isn't work. It is a vacation.

/ Why have a cab? #27  
Most of the cab units seem to preclude use of a backhoe. Are there any exceptions in the <40hp range?

/ Why have a cab? #28  
JayDavis said:
...Then again, spending 10hrs brush hogging with a 200hp tractor in a big ac cooled cab listening to the satellite radio on the stereo, cutting up everything you can run over isn't work. It is a vacation.

When I have a choice of outdoor tasks to attack and it is hot and humid, I opt for the ones I can do from inside my tractor cab. Definitely not in the 200 HP category as I have only 40 HP but the A/C makes it as close to a vacation as oiutdoor work in the heat and humidity can get. My tractor came with a slot for an "entertainment system", i.e. radio. It had stereo speakers preinstalled and a power connector awaiting the radio of choice. When really working a tractor I tend to wear muffs. When/if I get around to putting in a radio it will have to drive headphones like used in GENAV.

Pat

/ Why have a cab? #29  
IslandTractor said:
Most of the cab units seem to preclude use of a backhoe. Are there any exceptions in the <40hp range?

I too am in the cab-backhoe, pick one category with my 40 HP Kubota. I chose the cab to appease my wife. I wanted the backhoe. Best argument I ever lost. I love the cab. I was recently told that Kubota has 3PH hoes that can be used on my tractor. I have not seen them or know anything about them but suspect they would be less capable than a good chassis mount. Still, for my uses, a less capable unit would probably do all I need and be easy to remove and replace wlth my other implements. I need to research that.

Pat

/ Why have a cab? #30  
IslandTractor said:

It's true John Deere does not offer a backhoe on the 3520 Cab model I own, or I would think, on any 3X20 cab unit.

However Woods does make a backhoe that mounts on it and has it's own kit to supply hydraulics though the line to the loader.

I guess if anyone takes a little time and looks around you can put a backhoe on a cab tractor.

AL