Why let a calving cow die?

/ Why let a calving cow die?
For me, this is one of those posts I probably wish I wouldn't have posted.

The dead cow disappeared sometime after sundown, and sometime before sunup the next morning. I laid awake much that night thinking about her. I grew up on a large dairy farm. I saw my share of cows die.

It is now two weekends since this happened. I've done a lot of asking about the property. From the tax assessor, I know the property is absentee owned by someone from out of state. Except for me, the other adjacent land owners are also absentee owners from out of state. (This is considered a "vacation" area for many from Washington DC and Baltimore.).

On Friday, my wife and I had breakfast with a friend who keeps about a 350 head of beef cattle. She said they loose one now and then, but they'd rather sacrfice the cow, and take the meat and loss, than let her die on her own.

My wife and I were up at the community recycling center tonight. We ran into a friend who has over a hundred head of beef cattle just over the ridge. He didn't know who farmed the property either, yet his family has been here since the early 1900s. He just kicked the dirt, and said "another come here." A term for someone new to the area.

I'm not sure the person I saw was the cattle owner. It may have been someone like me, seeing what was going on.

There have been other cattle and calves in the pasture for the last couple of evenings. I look at the cows, and I think -- those cows would go for two grand a piece at auction!

Worse than that, I sure hate to see a beautiful animal die needlessly.

/ Why let a calving cow die? #12  
Given that no one in the area seems to know who owns these cows and no one seems to be taking care of them, I'd be inclined to call animal control or some authority like that if a similar situation ever arises.

I don't like the idea of calling any authorities in on my neighbors, but you've already done the leg work and can't even find out who your neighbors are. I don't think there is any other alternative.

The folks who own cows where my property are rarely even go out of town for a few days without getting someone to look in on their cows from time to time. I don't see owning cows as an absentee enterprise.

/ Why let a calving cow die? #13  
Knute, you may have hit on something there. Since the person you saw looking at the cow retreated when they saw you.. it may well have just been another person lookin' at her.. but not the prop. owner.

N80, ditto.. We keep cows on a property downt he road from our house a few miles. We try to make it there at least every other day to look for problems..

Soundguy