Why not use a finish mower

/ Why not use a finish mower #21  
Yes, I've picked up on the qualifiers. And the point about being a slave to the field is also a good one. There will be times of year I just don't get to the mowing regularly so grass will get tall. I suppose then I'll have to first cut with a rotary cutter and the next mow can go back to a RFM.

Funny thing... I have let my Field grow for the second year and it is nice not to be a slave to it. Now the only thing I finish mow is about a 8 foot strip on both sides of the fence and let-r go. When I decide to cut it again I will use the bush hog the first couple of times. I don't think I'll use the rider anymore but I also won't be finish mowing the way I did in the past, its not that important to me anymore.

/ Why not use a finish mower #22  
Yes, i've picked up on the qualifiers. And the point about being a slave to the field is also a good one. There will be times of year I just don't get to the mowing regularly so grass will get tall. I suppose then I'll have to first cut with a rotary cutter and the next mow can go back to a RFM.

Before I retired, that is pretty much the way we did it. Now that I am retired, I have more time, but still can identify with time constraints; always something needs doing.

/ Why not use a finish mower #23  
The word pasture is probabally what scared the dealer into saying that it was not a good idea.

How often are you mowing it with the bushhog???

If you are only mowing a few times a year with the bushhog, and want to carry on that routine with a RFM, then I would advise against it. Because 2-3 months worth of growth is just too much for a RFM to knock down to 3" without either going as slow as your tractor will go, or going over it twice. Not to mention replacing a belt frequently and sharpening the blades after about every cut.

So here is the delima: you dont want windrows like the bushhog leaves. You want a finished mower look. If you get a finish mower, you will have to mow it more often. I'd say not more than 2-3 weeks in between mowings at MOST. And if you wait that long, you will still have windrows even with the RFM. So why not try just try mowing more often with the bushhog first before you spend $$$ on a RFM.:thumbsup:

/ Why not use a finish mower
I've been trying to mow the pastures about once a month. Sometimes time gets away from me so it stretches 5-6 weeks. One part of the pasture gets mowed regularly every 2 weeks because I have lavender and herb beds there so I keep the grass around and in between the beds cut down as part of weed control. Even at 2 weeks, the rotary cutter leaves big windrows. I am thinking the finish mower will at least chop most of that stuff up so far less will be left behind.

From all the helpful replies here, I think I could find the right mix of using the rotary cutter when too much time passed between mows, and then try to come back in a couple weeks later and clean things up with an RFM.

/ Why not use a finish mower #25  
I will say I mowed my pasture that looked like a park no less than once every 2 weeks. And in the wetter lush growing season sometimes as often as once a week. As others have said it you let it go it will "ball up" and the results wont look any better than a Rotary cutter. You have to keep mowing tender green grass blades not big old stems. When we moved away down to Branson, we heard from the neighbor how awful the field had grown back up in weeds and thorns, and brush because the new owner never mowed it. Oh well, it was pretty while we had it.

James K0UA

/ Why not use a finish mower
I will say I mowed my pasture that looked like a park no less than once every 2 weeks. And in the wetter lush growing season sometimes as often as once a week. As others have said it you let it go it will "ball up" and the results wont look any better than a Rotary cutter. You have to keep mowing tender green grass blades not big old stems. When we moved away down to Branson, we heard from the neighbor how awful the field had grown back up in weeds and thorns, and brush because the new owner never mowed it. Oh well, it was pretty while we had it.

James K0UA

If I cut it first with a rotary cutter (when grass is thick / long) and then week or 2 later go back over it with a finish mower, will it clean things up - assuming I then keep at it with the finish mower every couple weeks?

As I mentioned above, part of this pasture gets mowed every couple weeks. I thought I might by a rider to do this part, sticking with the rotary cutter for the rest of it. But I can buy a good (used) RFM for less money than a new rider and it'd be one less motor to take care of. That's when I started inquiring about RFMs to use overall as a way to keep things groomed beyond the one area. I plan to keep my rotary cutter regardless - so might have to come up with a mowing plan that uses both kind of mowers.

/ Why not use a finish mower #27  
If I cut it first with a rotary cutter (when grass is thick / long) and then week or 2 later go back over it with a finish mower, will it clean things up - assuming I then keep at it with the finish mower every couple weeks?

As I mentioned above, part of this pasture gets mowed every couple weeks. I thought I might by a rider to do this part, sticking with the rotary cutter for the rest of it. But I can buy a good (used) RFM for less money than a new rider and it'd be one less motor to take care of. That's when I started inquiring about RFMs to use overall as a way to keep things groomed beyond the one area. I plan to keep my rotary cutter regardless - so might have to come up with a mowing plan that uses both kind of mowers.

a rotatory cutter will most like leave windrows (large clumps of weeds/grass in a lines behined the rotatory cutter.

it will take a few weeks of mowing and possibly mowing these windrows a few different times, to cut things up enough, to not really mulch the stuff but cut it up enough that it fans and spreads out. and then a few more times mowing over next few weeks, to re cut the windrow stuff up again and get things looking like it was always had a finisher mower used on it.

it takes time for grass to re cover from growing into taller thicker blades of weeds/grass. to smaller size blades of grass and fill out spots so there is less clumps of grass here there as well.

if you had a large yard vaccum, or something to remove the tall cut down grass / weeds after using rotatory cutter. you might improve how fast things get back to look like you always cut with a finishing mower.

/ Why not use a finish mower #28  

I agree with your plan, of buying the RFM instead of another rider, which you would wear out pretty quickly The only way to know for sure on your land and your grass how things will work out with the schedule you propose is to just do it. Keep the RFM blades sharpened. ( an 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a flap disk works well for this,) and grease the mower every time you take it out and it will last a long time. Of course providing you don't accidentally tear it up. Good Luck

James K0UA

/ Why not use a finish mower #29  
I started out mowing pasture with a finish mower because it's what I had available. The cut was nice and it worked well until I let the grass get to tall once. Then it was smoking the belt.

I've since gotten a brush hog and find it quicker and less worrying if it hits something a finish mower never should, but I'm also not a fan of the finish it leaves.

For high clipping or regular mowing I still prefer my finish mower, but there's a lot less to worry about when using the brush hog IMO. If you're going to maintain it like a lawn, get the finish mower. If you're going to only clip it occasionally, a brush hog is probably better.

/ Why not use a finish mower #30  
The rotary cutter leaves windrows that brown up and look pretty bad.

What kind of guard is on your mower? I've read that changing to a different style can change or eliminate the windrows.