Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers?

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #1  

NonTypicalCPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940
I'm in the market for a 22' car hauler for my Kubota. What I've been noticing is that most of the trailer length is in front of the axles, putting a lot of weight on the hitch. What am I missing here? My last 22' trailer had the same problem and I recently sold it. I was constantly being flashed at night for high pointing headlights. Any manufacturers that put their axles a little more towards the front?

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers?
Here's just one example.

1709325887033.jpeg

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #3  
Designed-in sway control?

Bruce

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #5  
What kind of tongue weight does the trailer have? What vehicle are you towing with?
Have you checked your trailer hitch label . They recommend using a weight distribution hitch at certain weights. Maybe your truck rear suspension needs improving.
My tilt bed PJ empty tongue weight is 1195 lb. I'm sure my trailer has more tongue weight than the pic of the aluminum trailer you posted. My truck barely moves when I hook it up. Back of truck will go down some as trailer is loaded but not enough to raise the headlights to blind oncoming traffic. As mentioned, learn to balance the load on trailer.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #6  
My trailer is similar to the ones pictured. When it’s not loaded I can easily lift the tongue onto a hitch. Y hand because the ramps are that heavy. I hate to tow it empty and usually fill a 55 gal drum with water at the front of the trailer if it’s going to be 100+ miles empty then dump the water when I pick up my load. Otherwise as long as you pay attention to your load you’ll be fine, especially if your tractor has a FEL which needs a ton of space but really doesn’t have any weight.
IMG_6690.jpeg

IMG_6423.jpeg

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #7  
I've got an 18 ft cargo/equipment trailer like that.
My interpretation is they are designed to be towed behind one ton pickups and commercial trucks that don't sag with a load rather than half ton pickups.
The other issue with some trailer designs is that they are significantly weaker behind the axles. So adding a few more feet behind the axles would put the trailer under significant stress.
I usually use equalizer bars on it.
It tows fine empty. I am always conscious about weight distribution when loading

Last edited:
   / Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #8  
If you put a car on them, the tow nicely

A tractor with a loader I figure wouldn't have enough tounge weight

My car hauler is homemade an has the axles too close to the middle. I am always trying to ADD tounge weight

But then again I'm towing with a dually with air bags

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #9  
I never really looked at car haulers, but that looks like a problem for my type of towing. All of the equipment trailers I have looked at had the axles more centered.
Is it possible that aluminum trailers are so light that they need more tongue weight when unloaded?