why trade so much

/ why trade so much #24  
I am not interested in selling my equipment, I just slowly add to it.

I agree there are lots of people new to tractors that don't understand how long a tractor will last. My 820 is 38 years old and will do everything it would do when it was new. No point in giving away a good tractor.

/ why trade so much #25  
Okay, I now officially own this thread. :)

I can't completely explain to the new tractor buyer what is "good" or "bad." It's a learned or inherent knowledge for those who've been around tractors for a period of time. You will gain it, if, you spend that same amount of time. I regularly salivate over 20 year old rigs for sale with little time and wear while also dismissing 5 year old rigs whose price is too high.

Do you understand Perkins motors? Do you know the differences between an 8n and a Ford 3000? Do you know that JD and Zetor models cross-bread? Do you know who your current closest dealers are and what that means? I can't really even delineate the things you need to know if you haven't been around equipment before.

Leaky machine.......tightness of controls......obvious condition of tires or undercarriage......hoe does the motor sound............those are your key indicators.

/ why trade so much #26  
I think we just get bored...;) :laughing:

Bingo! Humans inherently need something novel to keep our minds active.

Bambi does everything I ask of her; but I would love to have a cab. Even trading her in as a down payment on a cabbed tractor would not make sense at this point in time for our budget.

/ why trade so much
you hitt the nail on the head new tractor buyers really dont know how long a tractor will last.because if they did they would buy good clean used tractors insted of new 1s.an we live in a throw away world.nothing is built to last anymore.its build it to last 5yrs then go out so they have to buy new.

/ why trade so much #28  
you hitt the nail on the head new tractor buyers really dont know how long a tractor will last.because if they did they would buy good clean used tractors insted of new 1s.an we live in a throw away world.nothing is built to last anymore.its build it to last 5yrs then go out so they have to buy new.

Chances are the same thing was said 30 years ago, and will be said again 30 years from now.

/ why trade so much #29  
And then there's those of us who own the first tractor we ever bought, the first new tractor our fathers bought, and almost every tractor we ever owned.....I've NEVER traded in a tractor, even when I buy a new one. And I keep my old ones because I can't have "down time"....The old ones are FAR more reliable, take less time to repair in the event they do break down, and they've earned their keep where the new ones haven't really began to pay for themselves. I buy new tractors for my business. They don't really impress me, even thought they're loaded with the latest technology. If it wasn't for insurance companies and their "safety requirements", I'd have my operators on 35 year old tractors instead of new ones.... You want to impress me? Show me a nice 35 or 40 year old tractor that's never been in the dealers shop since it left there originally. Show me a tractor that you can work on with 4 or 5 basic hand tools. Show me a smiling old farmer on his faded old tractor....

/ why trade so much #30  
well im with your brother to some extent,we only bought 2 new tractors in 33yrs.an i beleive in running the wheels off of them.we have bought 5 used tractors over the years.an only have 1 of those left that wont be sold.if my nephew keeps loving tractors i may have to buy a cab tractor with a buddy seat so i can let him ride with me.

If these guys didn't trade tractors often where would we get the good deals on used tractors? :cool: